S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Transmission Sudden Slip in Hard Acceleration

Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 Transmission Sudden Slip in Hard Acceleration

AP1 with 142K miles with no known mechanical issues.

This is apparent only in hard acceleration(5-6K) especially in 3rd gear. It feels like sudden slip and gear going in neutral. When I let go the gas pedal for couple seconds and gently press again, car accelerates fine. It doesn't pop out like AP2.

Clutch is fine and there is no slippage. There is minor grind in 2nd-3rd change but it's not bad at all. Transmission feels fine in other gears.

Do you know what's causing sudden slip?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM

last time that happen to me my transmission was cracked. check if theres any cracks and my crack was not noticeable so check it good.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 PM

try adjusting the clutch. i don't know much about the tranny in the s2000, but in my r6 at 12k to 16.5 it would slip and would feel like it was just accelerate without going anywhere. adjusted the clutch and no more slippage
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is nothing to 'slip' in the transmission... you are describing a failing clutch.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 AM

It's semantic. Don't get tripped up on words. I'll take a look later today for any physical damages from outside. I don't experience any symptoms of failing clutch in low speed. It's just during very hard acceleration. Thanks for feedbacks.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvesper
It's semantic. Don't get tripped up on words. I'll take a look later today for any physical damages from outside. I don't experience any symptoms of failing clutch in low speed. It's just during very hard acceleration. Thanks for feedbacks.
The clutch can hold just fine at low rpm/speed, but then slip at high rpm/speed. I've experienced this is my AP2 during hard driving.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdelena
There is nothing to 'slip' in the transmission... you are describing a failing clutch.
^^^this

If the rpms are climbing disproportionately to the vehicle speed then your clutch is going out (unless you are driving on ice).
Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by realblag
Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1382454345' post='22840163
^^^this

If the rpms are climbing disproportionately to the vehicle speed then your clutch is going out (unless you are driving on ice).
So far, I like what I'm hearing because a new clutch is cheaper than an used transmission. Is there any diagnostics that I could perform to confirm that clutch is the issue? Meanwhile, I'll contact the previous owner to see when he replaced the clutch. I recall it being replaced not too long ago but who knows. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That's because the engine barely makes power if you aren't getting on it.. If you are winding it out and it's just revving without going anywhere the clutch is failing..
Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by realblag' timestamp='1382465453' post='22840524
[quote name='cdelena' timestamp='1382454345' post='22840163']
^^^this

So far, I like what I'm hearing because a new clutch is cheaper than an used transmission. Is there any diagnostics that I could perform to confirm that clutch is the issue? Meanwhile, I'll contact the previous owner to see when he replaced the clutch. I recall it being replaced not too long ago but who knows. Thanks.
[/quote]

Put it in 4th gear at 30 mph and floor it. If rpms rise independent of mph, then your clutch is going out.

Quick Reply: AP1 Transmission Sudden Slip in Hard Acceleration