S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Tail Light Lens Removal ?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 Tail Light Lens Removal ?

I bought a pair of AP1 Tail lights from a craistlist-er and one of the turn signals turned whitish/amber, the paint obviously faded. I want to take off the tail light lens and replace the turn signal with a good one I have, looks like it will just unscrew, but the lens is in the way. Anyone have any experience removing and replacing the tail light lens on an AP1 S2000?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ibewok
I bought a pair of AP1 Tail lights from a craistlist-er and one of the turn signals turned whitish/amber, the paint obviously faded. I want to take off the tail light lens and replace the turn signal with a good one I have, looks like it will just unscrew, but the lens is in the way. Anyone have any experience removing and replacing the tail light lens on an AP1 S2000?
You need to remove the lamp housing to access the bulbs. Open the trunk and remove the rear trim panel and right or left trunk side trim panel. There are 3 kinds of fastener in the trunk. The 1st hold the spare tire in (3 pieces) and have a wire loop to aid in removal- no need to deal with these as you will be working on the bumper side of the trunk. For the other two one is pressed in and one has a center button. You will need to remove the 2 button types for the side of the car you are working on. Use a small diameter rod or screw driver and gently depress the center button. The fastener can now be wiggled out. One will be at the top and one will be down inside. Both connect the side and rear trunk panels. You can access the lamps at this point but i find it easier to also remove the push fasteners. The others (4 on rear panel and 3 or 4 on the side panel) are pushed in and be preyed up using a small screwdriver. Be careful as they are brittle. Work your way around each fastener with a small flat head and it will come up. You can now see the back of the tail light. Twist whichever socket with the lamp you need to replace 90 degrees counterclockwise. Replace the bulb.
Brake/tail - 21watt/5watt
Backup-21watt
Turn signal-21 watt
Side marker - 5 watt

You can get new bulbs from any auto store. Just take what you need replaced with you.

Utah
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's not talking about the bulbs...he's talking about the red corner lens..... only way to get it out is to bake the lens which is EXTREMELY difficult and nearly impossible. Chances of you being unsuccessful and breaking the housing/lens is about 99%. Better off just finding a new tail light. I've taken them apart and I'm 2/4 for being successful, having broken the first one, getting the second one, breaking the third, and thankfully getting the fourth.... It's just not worth it IMO.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
He's not talking about the bulbs...he's talking about the red corner lens..... only way to get it out is to bake the lens which is EXTREMELY difficult and nearly impossible. Chances of you being unsuccessful and breaking the housing/lens is about 99%. Better off just finding a new tail light. I've taken them apart and I'm 2/4 for being successful, having broken the first one, getting the second one, breaking the third, and thankfully getting the fourth.... It's just not worth it IMO.
Thanks for the clarification.

Utah
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I'd definitely just buy another taillight.