S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, so you've been d-cking around with this problem for many months now. Time to get it fixed.

Couple of comments....sometimes you will post asking a person who just posted a question. You are more likely to get a reply if you quote them as they may have there control panel configured to get a notification only when their post is replied to.

If I remember correctly, you have two symptoms. A bad idle and clutch vibration.

Seems that you've done everything you can to fix the bad idle except the valve adjustment. Get it done. It should be done when you have this many miles on the car regardless.

You don't need to get a compression check or leak down test done if you have no symptoms to. Get the valve adjustment done. Now, given that, there's no reason not to get a compression check done anyway. You can borrow the tools from your local car parts store probably anyway.

You don't need a leak down test done unless you have a positive problem with compression.

A valve adjust will not cure a vibration felt through your clutch pedal. The vibration could be a clutch problem or a big issue with spun bearings...but, given that it's been 6 months, I would think that the problem would have gotten much worse by now if it was either. The guy who was talking about certain clutch things being "know issues"....well, maybe known only to him.

You suddenly decided you had cracked valve retainers for some reason. Where did that come from? The retainers can be inspected indirectly to determine if they are cracked. Billman250 has a great thread on this. Its easy, but its best to have a mechanic with S2000 experience look at it.

You could replace the retainers if desired, but there is no reason to if they aren't cracked, and you don't track your car or drive it real hard on the street.

While you can adjust the valves yourself, it's not complicated, you have to know what to "feel for" when you use the feeler gauges. If you've never done it before, and you don't have someone to guide you, then don't bother doing it yourself. It'll be a waste of time.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JHenk Hollywood
Originally Posted by LAp1' timestamp='1319035260' post='21083148
Car has always had what I consider to be a pretty severe oil consumption problem,
it is normal for the s2000 to consume up to 2 quarts of oil in some cases. I prefer to use royal purple, Mobile 1 isnt reccomended becasue it doesnt perform well at high V-Tec RPMs. So dont worry about it burning Oil its completely normal. just make sure as you said to keep up with the levels.

my s2k does the same where it will rev down to 600 and has sometimes even completely stalled out. A known problem are the stock springs in the clutch disc. the AP1 clutch disc springs are noisey and over time fail at its job. If not fixed it may damage the pressure plate. However it is a normal issue, and the disc spring generally outlast the disc life so.

it can affect the performance of the vechile between shifts, in the first gear, or on rev down after shifting into neutral becuase althought the transmission isnt in gear the clutch is still partially engaged.

best test, turn your ride on. open the door and place your foot on the ground. WITHOUT ingageing the clutch attempt to shift into gear but do not grind the 1st gear. You can use the test in either 1st or 2nd gear. If she begins to move then you definetly have a dirty pressure plate or its time to change your clutch!
I've never heard of such a theory.. I personally installed my stage 3 ACT clutch and pressure plate. I cleaned everything and greased everything,then put her back together. My car would roll when I did this and I had a brand new clutch, pp, oem pilot bearing, oem throw out bearing, and a resurfaced fly wheel.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a helms manual that should be here in a few days so ill do the retainer check and valve adjustment asap.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by LAp1
i have a helms manual that should be here in a few days so ill do the retainer check and valve adjustment asap.
Having the Helm's manual is good. I think anybody who wrenches on their car should have the factory service manual. However, I don't think it explains how to do either procedure.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by LAp1' timestamp='1337561833' post='21715045
Having the Helm's manual is good. I think anybody who wrenches on their car should have the factory service manual. However, I don't think it explains how to do either procedure.

so in your opinion, should i just take it to a mechanice to have the retainers checked/upgraded and valve adjustment done?

id kinda like to fix it, or atleast attempt to, by myself. ill never learn any of this until i get in there and get my paws dirty but at the same time id really hate to seriously screw something up.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 AM

As I said before...if you've never done a valve adjustment, and you don't have someone who has to guide you, you can't do it yourself. Period. Because you don't know what to "feel" for when you are dragging those feeler gauges.

Find Billmans thread to instpect for broken retainers. Alhtough you don't actually look at the retainer.

Have you found an S2k mechanic in your area yet?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM

ive searched around locally for someone that id feel comfortable having work on my car, to no avail. honda has astronomical prices and seemed very misinformed and i really only had two other choices. one place wont even call me back after i tell them that its an s2000, which i dont get, being that the shop works on exotics, supras, etc. the other shop quoted me a fair price for the valve adjustment and to check/replace retainers but the guy seemed like your usual grease monkey who thinks he knows it all, keyword 'thinks.' he wanted to argue with me that ap2's rev higher than ap1's and said that he could promise me that an s2000 would drop a valve before it would ever crack a retainer. i know damn well that ap1s will crack retainers and that they rev higher than ap2s, but this mechanic felt that he knew damn well that an ap1 wont crack a retainer and doesnt rev as high as an ap2...dont think i want to give this guy my business..seemed like he was more interested in proving that he was right, than fixing my car.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by LAp1
ive searched around locally for someone that id feel comfortable having work on my car, to no avail. honda has astronomical prices and seemed very misinformed and i really only had two other choices. one place wont even call me back after i tell them that its an s2000, which i dont get, being that the shop works on exotics, supras, etc. the other shop quoted me a fair price for the valve adjustment and to check/replace retainers but the guy seemed like your usual grease monkey who thinks he knows it all, keyword 'thinks.' he wanted to argue with me that ap2's rev higher than ap1's and said that he could promise me that an s2000 would drop a valve before it would ever crack a retainer. i know damn well that ap1s will crack retainers and that they rev higher than ap2s, but this mechanic felt that he knew damn well that an ap1 wont crack a retainer and doesnt rev as high as an ap2...dont think i want to give this guy my business..seemed like he was more interested in proving that he was right, than fixing my car.
Any experienced mechanic can adjust the valves, but you still want to trust them.

Where do you live?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Lafayette, Louisiana.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM

bumps

Quick Reply: AP1 running rough, HELP