S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning right when I left my apartment, I stopped to merge on the freeway and my 'BRAKE' light came on twice, for about 5 seconds each time. As soon as I saw it, I'd make sure the parking brake wasn't engaged, which it wasn't...and the light would go off 3-4 seconds later. Could this be relative to my loud squealing noise?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 AM

Bringing this headache of a thread back with yet another dilemma!

First off, for those of you that are as lazy as I am and dislike going back and reading a whole thread, I'll sum up all the main points below:

I started off the thread trying to figure out why my car had a bad idle, intermittent power loss, shaking/grinding shifter, and wasn't sure how to explain it at the time but the motor just seemed to always be 'straining'.

Things I've done to try and fix it:

Changed oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid
New spark plugs
MAP Whack
Checked valve retainers
Valve adjustment
Cleaned IACV
Cleaned throttle body
Adjusted throttle cable
Visually inspected all vacuum lines for leaks
Removed primary O2 to test for bad cat
Changed PCV
Changed air filter
Checked for bad coils
Brakes changed LOL
Reset ECU
Checked crank endplay

Car would run better for a day or two but never seemed to run like it should. Meanwhile I ended up with a horrid squeal coming from the rear driver side wheel area. The problem gradually got worse and worse so I started searching for a mechanic to check it out. After months of searching I found a mechanic in town that seemed competent enough to work on the car. I brought it in for diagnosis and he told me I had broken motor mounts(which im guessing caused the vibrations), bad MAP sensor(bad idle/power loss/straining), bad primary O2 sensor(bad idle/power loss/straining), and he told me my clutch is on its way out(shaking/grinding shifter). He said that the caliper pins were dry and that's what was causing the noise from the wheel area. Seems to all make sense so I started on the hunt for parts. I ended up going with the following:

ACT Prolite FW
ACT H021 PP
OEM clutch disc
OEM throwout bearing
OEM pilot bearing
OEM master cylinder
HTG's MAP sensor upgrade
OEM primary O2 sensor
Megan Racing motor/tranny mounts

I installed the primary O2 and the map upgrade myself, piece of cake, and the car seemed to run a good bit better. No more LIMP mode. I also gave the 'brake' noise HELL. I burned up probably 15 lunch breaks and 5 hours each for 3 seperate weekends trying to figure out where the squeal came from, NADA.

I called the mechanic when all my parts came in and he told me to drop my car off Wednesday(9/12/12)and he told me he would have the car finished by the following Friday afternoon. I had all the parts shipped to my work, so on Tuesday I was going to pack up all the parts in the trunk, and when I left work I was going to buy groceries etc to hold me over for the next two days. I ended up having to leave work shortly before work on Tuesday because of a vomiting fit (sorry, disgusting I know) and wasn't able to grab my parts nor stock up on rations for the next two days. I called the mechanic all Tuesday afternoon to let him know that due to my ride situation/work timing that I'd have to drop the car off on Wednesday before he opened. I left multiple voicemails explaining my situation and never heard back from him.

As planned, I ended up having to drop my car off earlier than he opened. I made sure I hid the key well and I called and left multiple voicemails explaining where the key was and to call and let me know that he found it and I explained that I got a quote for the clutch/ motor mounts from another mechanic and that I'd like him to quote me before I committed. I had a friend pick up the parts from my work Wednesday morning and brought them to the mechanic with my business card taped on top with all my info and asked him to call me. I waited until after lunch but never heard back from him. I called/left voicemails all Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and he didn't answer until Friday afternoon at 2:30pm. He said my car hadn't gone up on the rack yet but that I was next in line and that he'd call me with a quote on everything shortly. He ACTUALLY called back within 30 minutes and quoted me $550 to change the motor mounts, clutch, and said the wheel noise actually was the hub/bearing, AS I TOLD HIM FROM THE BEGINNING. Wasn't going to complain being that the other mechanic quoted me $550 just for the motor mounts and clutch, and his shop is 100 miles away. I told him the quote sounded good and to start on the clutch and motor mounts and he said he'd look around for a hub/bearing locally. He called back within 30 minutes and said that he had a hub at the local Honda that would work. He said its for another customer of his that needed new axles/hubs because hes at 600rwhp and needed a new driveshaft etc. To me this sounded kinda of fishy but I rolled with it because he said he would be able to finish the car by either that night as originally planned or first thing Saturday morning. Well, I called/left voicemails Friday night, all Saturday and I had a friend bring me by his place Saturday night to see if he was open. My friend was new to the area of town so he missed the turn he was supposed to take but I was able to see that mechanic was open, at 8pm Saturday night. I know I should have had my friend swing me back by but I hadn't eaten all day and had a plate of hot food on my lap. After I ate, I called but of course he didn't answer. I called all Monday, he didn't answer until the late afternoon and said the hub was actually for an AP2. He ordered one overnight and said he would finish it by Tuesday. He called Tuesday and said that there was some ring he had to torch off because he couldn't remove it the normal way and had to order one to put things back together properly, and the ring was one day away. He didn't get it done Wednesday either. AARGH. We spoke yesterday and he promised that everything would be done by last nite for sure, and that he would stay until it was done. He called around 7pm last night and said the hub/bearing was back to new, but now the clutch is EXTREMELY hard to engage. He said he thinks what happened, is that ACT packaged an EXTREME pressure plate in the HD box and the EXTREME's cant be used with a stock disk.

To me this all seems fishy, from DELAY to DELAY, and he NEVER answers the phone/responds to voicemails. Also, the fact that he has a 900hp GSR hatchback, makes me wonder if my motor isn't apart in his shop, and he's picking and choosing which F20C1 parts he wants in his GSR motor.

This is my first personal experience with a mechanic, and all my friends are telling me 'aww man this is just how mechanics work', but to me that is BULLSHIT, and totally unacceptable business.

Sorry if this post is a little confusing, life is HECTIC right now, especially with no car. Plus I'm trying to type this all up in between doing things at work. I guess I'm just looking for you guys opinion on this matter and maybe a little guidance. It also felt pretty good to vent to 'someone' so thanks S2KI.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds cheap for a clutch job ! That pressure plate should work but it will be a very very stuff clutch now.

Imo calm down let the guy get the job done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it seems the shop is a 1 man deal and from my experience thats how those types of buisnesses run. Its not like dropping your car off at jiffy lube and they have multiple people working and have a schedule to keep. Not answering calls and all the delays is bad buisness practice but it seems like hes the only one nearby so he pretty much can do what he wants at his pace.

I know its frustrating and being your only car just makes you stress even more. But $550 for the clutch job, bearing/hub is a great deal. I paid a friend of mine who works at honda $450 and a case of beer just for a clutch, which i helped with.

Just be glad that after all this headache and time, you diagnosed your issues, learned a lot about your car. And when you get it back you can rest assure that shes gonna run like a top for you.

Hang in there and it will all be worth it in the end!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by wing
Sounds cheap for a clutch job ! That pressure plate should work but it will be a very very stuff clutch now.

Imo calm down let the guy get the job done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Thanks. I agreed, it's pretty cheap for the labor on a clutch. Besides a clutch, motor mount, and hub assembly. Keep in mind, the $550 is just for labor for the clutch/motor mounts/hub swap. I spent approx $1300 on parts. I'm usually a very patient person but I have a million and one things going on in my life right now and the ONE thing I can't go without is my car. Driving me nuts!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 4forall
Yeah it seems the shop is a 1 man deal and from my experience thats how those types of buisnesses run. Its not like dropping your car off at jiffy lube and they have multiple people working and have a schedule to keep. Not answering calls and all the delays is bad buisness practice but it seems like hes the only one nearby so he pretty much can do what he wants at his pace.

I know its frustrating and being your only car just makes you stress even more. But $550 for the clutch job, bearing/hub is a great deal. I paid a friend of mine who works at honda $450 and a case of beer just for a clutch, which i helped with.

Just be glad that after all this headache and time, you diagnosed your issues, learned a lot about your car. And when you get it back you can rest assure that shes gonna run like a top for you.

Hang in there and it will all be worth it in the end!
I just hope he's a better mechanic than businessman. You are right though, once it's done it'll be SO nice. The million dollar question is WHEN... lol