S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LAp1
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1344983081' post='21937422
This can figure out where the noise is coming from! Good advice for your clutch and wheel noise. No good mechanic should be without a subscription to Motor and Motor Age magazines!

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1667
Interesting post but none of those symptoms are anything like mine. Much appreciated tho!

you could also jack the car up and hang the entire caliper out of the way of the wheels and give it a run on stands. that would totally eliminate the brakes.
i know you checked for debris, but also make sure that there brake shield is not rubbing any place. they commonly get bent and make noise.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1344983081' post='21937422
This can figure out where the noise is coming from! Good advice for your clutch and wheel noise. No good mechanic should be without a subscription to Motor and Motor Age magazines!

http://www.motor.com...article_ID=1667
Interesting post but none of those symptoms are anything like mine. Much appreciated tho!
But the microphone pickup thing would figure it out!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by LAp1' timestamp='1344988778' post='21937631
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1344983081' post='21937422']

http://www.motor.com...article_ID=1667
But the microphone pickup thing would figure it out!
[/quote]
Now I seeeee. I skipped over the first couple paragraphs and went down to the symptoms with bold letters. Neat tool!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by MR.T
Originally Posted by LAp1' timestamp='1344988778' post='21937631
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1344983081' post='21937422']

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1667

you could also jack the car up and hang the entire caliper out of the way of the wheels and give it a run on stands. that would totally eliminate the brakes.
i know you checked for debris, but also make sure that there brake shield is not rubbing any place. they commonly get bent and make noise.
[/quote]
Thanks Mr. T
I'll double check the brake shield for lunch and also hang the caliper out of the way to atleast eliminate those two possibilities. I'll update you guys in about 4 hours.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM

That's assuming that there's enough play in the brake lines at the caliper. You might have to take some clips loose to hang it comfortably out of the way. Make sure you hang it with a string or wire, not the brake line itself.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM

Update...

Rear end still squealing...I put the car up on jack stands and put it in gear and no squealing...figured I'd try and hang the calipers out of the way just to see what would happen, and of course they didn't squeal. What could cause this horrid squealing, yet not squeal at all when there is no weight on the rear wheels?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM

F***!

Went at the brakes once again for my lunch break today. I've taken the brakes apart 4 or 5 times now and regreased everything and the squeal is only getting worse. I thought maybe the dust shield was bent or a rock or something was stuck in between it and the rotor. I inspected the brake shield and it seems to not be the problem. I've rotated the wheels by hand and by gear and can't seem to get any noise, besides the squeal. I was clueless until I went to wiggling the caliper today, the squeal is somewheres in that assembly but I'm stumped as to where...I've taken the rear brakes apart 4 or 5 times and regreased everything and it continues to squeal...Anyone?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

F***!

Went at the brakes once again for my lunch break today. I've taken the brakes apart 4 or 5 times now and regreased everything and the squeal is only getting worse. I thought maybe the dust shield was bent or a rock or something was stuck in between it and the rotor. I inspected the brake shield and it seems to not be the problem. I've rotated the wheels by hand and by gear and can't seem to get any noise, besides the squeal. I was clueless until I went to wiggling the caliper today, the squeal is somewheres in that assembly but I'm stumped as to where...I've taken the rear brakes apart 4 or 5 times and regreased everything and it continues to squeal...Anyone?
You need to use either the microphone thing in the article, or have someone be next to the car as you drive. They could even be on a skateboard as you drive, but be careful!!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM

F***!

So are you saying the noise is definitely coming from the brakes?

If not, when you ran the car jacked up, earlier you said there was no noise. Perhaps, as you have already said, it is a wheel bearing, and only makes the noise when under load?

When you ran the wheels with the car jacked up, where were the jack/s? If you jacked under body, the wheels will lower as the body rises, this will then mean the wheels will be rotating in a condition that is different to when the car is sat on the road. There is a chance that this is effecting something and causing the sound to temporarily disappear. Try jacking the car somewhere under the rear lower arms, this will then keep all parts(except wheel bearings) under load, as if they were on the road surface. But be VERY CAREFUL, as this is not a recognised jacking point and may possibly cause damage.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM

the noise in this video is the exact same sound that I have at low speeds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKEWCeXcXI...the noise continues at higher speeds but is less pronounced and alot higher pitched. keep in mind it only makes noise while under load and does not seem to be the brakes...coming from rear wheels, mainly drivers side.

Quick Reply: AP1 running rough, HELP