S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys aware of any good write-ups on cleaning the throttle body? I searched and found ways to clean it with the throttle body still on, I'd rather just remove it to clean it so I'll know that its been effectively cleaned.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by LAp1
Car has always had what I consider to be a pretty severe oil consumption problem,
it is normal for the s2000 to consume up to 2 quarts of oil in some cases. I prefer to use royal purple, Mobile 1 isnt reccomended becasue it doesnt perform well at high V-Tec RPMs. So dont worry about it burning Oil its completely normal. just make sure as you said to keep up with the levels.

my s2k does the same where it will rev down to 600 and has sometimes even completely stalled out. A known problem are the stock springs in the clutch disc. the AP1 clutch disc springs are noisey and over time fail at its job. If not fixed it may damage the pressure plate. However it is a normal issue, and the disc spring generally outlast the disc life so.

it can affect the performance of the vechile between shifts, in the first gear, or on rev down after shifting into neutral becuase althought the transmission isnt in gear the clutch is still partially engaged.

best test, turn your ride on. open the door and place your foot on the ground. WITHOUT ingageing the clutch attempt to shift into gear but do not grind the 1st gear. You can use the test in either 1st or 2nd gear. If she begins to move then you definetly have a dirty pressure plate or its time to change your clutch!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Ok guys, changed the PCV and cleaned IACV today. I started the car afterward and the idle seems to be much better but I'm yet to drive it. I still want to clean the throttle body but I'm not sure how to remove it because the throttle cable is connected to it(of course lol) and im not sure how to disconnect it properly. I also had hell removing all the little hoses on the IACV and PCV and there are hoses that are connected to the throttle body which seem much more complicated to disconnect. You guys have any tips on how to properly disconnect the throttle cable and remove the little hoses connected to it with a little more ease? Or should I just clean the throttle body with it still on?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Compression test and have your coil packs tested. Bad coils will make the car shake and drive like absolute crap
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Try a valve adjustment, it will make your car run smoother!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 AM

Will keep those in mind if its still running rough after I clean TB and change tranny/diff fluid, any tips on how to remove throttle body correctly or should I just clean it with it still on?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Basically just needing to know how to properly remove throttle cable from throttle body so it can be removed for cleaning. Also, any tips on how to easily remove the hoses hooked to the throttle body? I just feel like I need to get the TB thoroughly cleaned before moving on to the next thing..
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM

01 here, had same problems. Misfire on all 4. Cleaning the throttlebody and the IAC helped a little but never fixed it. Did a valve adjustment, power came back, no misfire, idles like a champ.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Adionik
Compression test and have your coil packs tested. Bad coils will make the car shake and drive like absolute crap

Compression test would be my next move.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:11 AM

Calamari were you throwing any codes?

Quick Reply: AP1 running rough, HELP