S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 839 Posts

No.

Removing the o2 simply gives the car a large exhaust leak before the cat.

If the cat is plugged, the exhaust has no where to go so it backs up into the cylinder.

With the o2 removed, the exhaust can exit the HOLE in the header and the car will regain power.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
No.

Removing the o2 simply gives the car a large exhaust leak before the cat.

If the cat is plugged, the exhaust has no where to go so it backs up into the cylinder.

With the o2 removed, the exhaust can exit the HOLE in the header and the car will regain power.
got it.

removed the primary o2 today and took the car for a spin. exhaust note was drastically louder but i really didn't notice any performance difference really. definitely not a drastic one. not sure whats next..
Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I think your pretty much a t the end of your rope.

I'd suggest you contact that shop again that didn't contact you back, give them a call. Just because they didn't call you back doesn't mean they aren't competent. Who knows, maybe they have one guy who's supposed to respond and he's just the one flake working there.

I think somebody else mentioned another place as well. Or, find a mechanic in New Orleans, although I know that's about 2 hrs away.

A good mechanic knows that he has to listen to you, so print out this thread, deleting all the irrelevant things we talked about.

Also, make a clear, concise typewritten (computer that is) list of exactly what parts you've tested/changed, etc.

Make an appointment for a weekday (so they can order parts and get them the same day if needed) for early morning. Make sure they know you're coming from a long way so they'll try to fix it same day.

Make arrangements for a ride home or place to stay if needed.

While you can pull your oil pan or send your oil in for analysis to see if it's your bearings, it's a moot point 'cause there is nothing you can do about it anyway. Pulling the pan on a S2000 is a hassle, and a huge hassle without a lift. I'd let the mechanic do it.

As usual, keep us posted, and good luck that it's nothing to expensive.

BTW, since it's been this long, you could just wait till next February, and make a vacation of it in New Orleans.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 AM

man dissapointing. not sure where to go from here, guess ill keep searching for someone that I feel is qualified to work on it. either that or start planning a drive to NY.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 PM

welp. I'm yet to come across anyone to fix my car, nor have i made any progress on finding out whats wrong. :/

aaaand, yesterday, my car started making this screeching 'nails on chalkboard' sound upon hard decel, and a less pronounced screeching sound upon light decel, something like barely activating a box turkey call. pretty sure its not brakes this time lol being that it makes the noise on decel whether I'm braking or not. basically the only time its not making the screeching noises is when I'm accelerating. sounds to be coming from tranny area but very hard to tell. towards the end of a 30 minute drive it started getting much louder. pressure plate?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Dude, sounds like you are about to get stranded.

Swallow your pride or anger or disgust or pissed offness or whatever....and give Gorilla Engineering a phone call. It seems like it's your only option.

Give them another chance.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM

ill give them another try tomorrow. thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1

Swallow your pride or anger or disgust or pissed offness or whatever....and give Gorilla Engineering a phone call. It seems like it's your only option.

Good luck.
I called Gorilla Race Engineering FOUR times today and left two voicemails, thoroughly explaining my situation, aaaaand no response..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Good news, I can take this Thursday and Friday off. I have a friend in Houston I can shack up with if theres a reputable s2k mechanic there, which I'm sure there is, or a sister in Manhattan I can stay with if I decide to go see Billman, guess those are about my only options at this point right?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by LAp1
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1342398973' post='21862053

Good luck.
I called Gorilla Race Engineering FOUR times today and left two voicemails, thoroughly explaining my situation, aaaaand no response..
God....I just called them also and it's obviously a cell phone. The guy answered it but didn't know it and was just walking around.....

I just emailed him direct and through his website as well.

Quick Reply: AP1 running rough, HELP