S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shit. changing a throwout bearing is not something for an amateur mechanic to attempt rite? especially one without a lift..im guessing a no but id rather spend a day with my helms manual doing it myself than giving someone gobs of cash to do it just because my car says 's2000' on the side.

^^shes actually debadged but you know what I'm talking about as far as people overcharging for these cars. in my area atleast..
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM

ok attempted to adjust my throttle cable today as per Helms instructions. The cable had approx 1" of play up and down so this may have been my problem all along, or atleast one of them. Helms instructions were a little funny, if you have a Helms yank it out and tell me if I sound crazy or not.

Instuction #9 reads "Turn adjusting nut(A) until it is 3mm away from cable bracket(B). "

the bracket in the picture doesn't go with the '3mm gap' they are showing, its more like 3 inches away.

therefore I'm guessing you adjust (A) 3mm away from where they hook onto the bracket, not where the arrow points in the illustration.

I adjusted the cable to where I thought it seemed right. The car ran much better but I think I need to loosen the cable a little.

If anyone can clarify what Helms meant here, please do. I'm guessing they meant from where the cable sits in the bracket but just not sure.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't worry about what the helm's says. If it's tight it's tight. Can't be to tight as long as you are idling at the correct speed. This is one thing the manual is not needed for.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 AM

OK will loosen the cable a little and check back. sorry about this being such a slow process. life has been hectic lately, im working on the car every chance i get. thanks for everyones cooperation.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM

ooookey..

had a few spare minutes for lunch..checked out the vac system..everything seems to be A-OK but I just gave it a visual inspection. Let me know if there is a better way to test for vac leaks..
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LAp1
shit. changing a throwout bearing is not something for an amateur mechanic to attempt rite? especially one without a lift..im guessing a no but id rather spend a day with my helms manual doing it myself than giving someone gobs of cash to do it just because my car says 's2000' on the side.

^^shes actually debadged but you know what I'm talking about as far as people overcharging for these cars. in my area atleast..
I don't know if youv done the bearing yet?

About a month ago i did the clutch on my friends S2000 and it is by far the hardest clutch iv ever hands down. And iv done clutches on everything from Integra's, Celica's, Accord's, - BMW's. So unless you have experience changing a clutch let alone a S2K clutch i would highly recommend finding some that at least has some experiences with it and have a good day to work with.

But after doing one myself i understand why they charge what they do to change them. Im not trring to discouraged you but just giving you a heads up.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stuttterbuttter
Originally Posted by LAp1' timestamp='1339904971' post='21787828

I don't know if youv done the bearing yet?

About a month ago i did the clutch on my friends S2000 and it is by far the hardest clutch iv ever hands down. And iv done clutches on everything from Integra's, Celica's, Accord's, - BMW's. So unless you have experience changing a clutch let alone a S2K clutch i would highly recommend finding some that at least has some experiences with it and have a good day to work with.

But after doing one myself i understand why they charge what they do to change them. Im not trring to discouraged you but just giving you a heads up.

advice taken..will try all the other possibilities out and if its still feeling funny I'll find someone to take a look at the clutch. thanks for the input man!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

This thread is amazing.

No one here mentions fuel trim. It is the cornerstone of OBD2 diagnostics and will direct you to a possible rich or lean condition that is causing your issue.

Find someone who knows how to read it, and utilize it.

You cannot post fuel trim numbers. They are forever changing and one must know how to "read" them.

I think you will be spinning your wheels a long time here, and changing parts and guessing till you get lucky.

I swear to you if your car was in front of me could diagnose it in 20 minutes to 1.5 hours.

For instance...you are wasting energy checking for vac leaks, when fuel trim will show positive correction of at least 10% if you had a PINHOLE size leak. If trim is stable, you can rest assured 100% you have no vac leaks.

Where are you on the map?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
This thread is amazing.

No one here mentions fuel trim. It is the cornerstone of OBD2 diagnostics and will direct you to a possible rich or lean condition that is causing your issue.

You cannot post fuel trim numbers. They are forever changing and one must know how to "read" them.

I think you will be spinning your wheels a long time here, and changing parts and guessing till you get lucky.

I swear to you if your car was in front of me could diagnose it in 20 minutes to 1.5 hours.

For instance...you are wasting energy checking for vac leaks, when fuel trim will show positive correction of at least 10% if you had a PINHOLE size leak. If trim is stable, you can rest assured 100% you have no vac leaks.

Billman, I have the ability to read long and short term fuel trim, and I'd love to read a primer or other educational material on it. Can you point me to a website or book where I can educate myself?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
This thread is amazing.

Billman! I've been hoping you'd chime in!

I'm in Louisiana. There is absolutely no one even close to me that wants to touch the car, besides someone who I actually trust to do so. If interested, I'll pay to get you here and back to NY..seriously..

Quick Reply: AP1 running rough, HELP