S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 running rough, HELP

Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 running rough, HELP

I have an '01 AP1 with approx 110k miles, daily driven. Car has always had what I consider to be a pretty severe oil consumption problem, but I've always kept up with the oil levels. Last 5k miles or so, car has been gradually running worse and worse. When I first noticed the change, I decided to change my oil and spark plugs, thinking that the 105k on the OEM plugs may have been the culprit. Car ran a little better for a day or two but the problem definitely wasnt fixed.

Car seems to have a pretty drastic loss of power; shifter ring is horrible some days, will literally shake and rattle the WHOLE time im driving, when I push in the 'play' in my clutch I can feel all sorts of shaking in the pedal that go right along with the shaking that the shifter is doing; when idling, it will sometimes drop to 600 rpm, shudder horribly and almost die, but will go back up to about 1000rpm and idle there. Also, the motor and tranny arent near as smooth as when I first got them, shifts are probably about 80% as smooth as they were at first, and the motor seems to always 'strain' and sounds like its doing so.

I've done the MAP whack, didnt help at all. Maybe I should start with changing all my fluids and go from there?

I'm stumped. Could really use some help! Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 AM

Anyone? Anything?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I'm worried that im doing damage to the car driving it this way!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any CEL's? Check the basics. Compression test, leak down check, and check valve clearances. Cleaned your throttle body lately? Also search on cleaning the IAC.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 PM

No CELS. Would I be better off buying all the equip to do a compression/leakdown test or should I just have a mechanic do it being that this is usually only a one-time thing? Have never cleaned throttle body or IAC or PCV.. Should I start with these three or get the compression/leakdown test done first?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never hurts to have your own tools . Never know when you might need them again. I would start off by cleaning the throttle body and IAC. That may very well be the culprit of the poor idle, and both are very simple to do. Also replace the PCV valve
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM

Will start there and report back throughout the week.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 AM

i was going to say the same thing. Preventative maintenance goes along way, Change pcv and air filter if needed. Clean TB and iacv. Whens the last time you changed the transmission and differential oil?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Air filter, spark plugs, and oil have all been changed within last 2500 miles. Tranny and diff fluid were changed at around 40k by the previous owner, supposedly. But im starting to question that with the way the car is running. I'll take it this week to get them changed and will change PCV, clean tb and iacv this weekend.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LAp1
Air filter, spark plugs, and oil have all been changed within last 2500 miles. Tranny and diff fluid were changed at around 40k by the previous owner, supposedly. But im starting to question that with the way the car is running. I'll take it this week to get them changed and will change PCV, clean tb and iacv this weekend.
Do this and let us know how you make out. I think this will most likely cure your problem.

Quick Reply: AP1 running rough, HELP