S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Rough idle, Help, engine problem ! [HELP] please

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AP1 Rough idle, Help, engine problem ! [HELP] please

hey so this is my first Post i've been here for a while, Really appreciate the information s2ki provides, and really hope i can get some help/chime on my problem with my
2001 S2000

tried searching, basically my symptoms:
~Check Engine Light is from the Test Pipe, its a heater bank 2 code,ONLY code, i've pulled the codes for a few months nothing new.
~ Sounds kinda like a wrx,
~Strong, STRONG smell of gas when it happens
~ Rough Idle
~ Drastic Loss of power
~randomly dies
Tries:
~replaced Fuel Pump
~replaced MAP sensor
~replace spark Plugs( NGK PFR7G - 7772, platinum, i just put them in and the engine ran fine)
~ removed MAP when this happens symptoms still occur
Believes
~maybe coil packs?
Short Story, car was randomly hesitant once a month and would shut off randomly, when i turned it back on it ran fine, after a few months it came more frequently once a week, and NOW, all the time.
46K miles 2001 S2000
please help..
here's a video, the twist and turn it was on my phone.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8g8M5EOskU&feature=plcp[/media]

any help would be appreciated, trying to do this myself before i go to the stealership and get wacked by "service"
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

what plugs? gapped to? valve adjustment? compression check?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
what plugs? gapped to? valve adjustment? compression check?
No compression Check yet, Valves were adjusted about 5 months ago By honda, and the spark plugs i used were NGK 7772, i didn't think i needed to gap them, the engine (AT THE TIME) ran fine, i replaced them because my engine would randomly turn off once a month thought i would give it a try, didn't do any good or bad.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Member (Premium)

always double check for gap, even when they are pregapped, how easy is it for a plug to be dropped on the floor during shipping? Did the issue start shortly after the new plugs? I would have someone you trust 100% double check everything. Double check spark plug torque. Sounds like a misfire which usually throws a code...what cel did you have?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM

always double check for gap, even when they are pregapped, how easy is it for a plug to be dropped on the floor during shipping? Did the issue start shortly after the new plugs? I would have someone you trust 100% double check everything. Double check spark plug torque. Sounds like a misfire which usually throws a code...what cel did you have?
Thanks for the reply, The problems happended before i changed the spark plugs, No changes after i changed them, however before i changed them, my First symptoms were once every few months I.E: the car would "tug" (like a split second barely noticeable, then when i clutch in the engines dies) and after i let it die, start it back up and it'll be fine for another few months, after that it happended maybe once a month, then maybe once a week, after that idle changed and it soundes exactly like the video( which is actually my car).
as for the Code, its P0141 Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank1, Sensor2), From my Test pipe underneath, no other codes found =\
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Member (Premium)

make sure its not throwing any new codes, I find it hard to believe the motor is not throwing out any hints
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had similar issues; my car would idle just a little rough, after i drove it hard i'd get (bank 1 lean, multiple random misfires) codes.
eventually it started dying periodically when i'd come to a stop, clutch in. the revs drop usually, but now it started dying.
took it to the mechanic, he tested my fuel pump; he says it's supposed to be pushing ~50 psi, and close to 60 under WOT.
it...was dropping to around 20. i'm gonna replace it now, and see what happens.
i know you said you replaced the fuel pump; with a stock unit? was it new or used?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM

strong smell of gas makes me think you're losing ignition on a cylinder when it happens. pull out the plugs when it happens and see if you can tell which plug is wet with fuel.. if you just replaced the plugs then it could be the coil. make sure all wiring is good, and grounds are good.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Could it be an iacv or the likes acting up or maybe a bad injector
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM

make sure its not throwing any new codes, I find it hard to believe the motor is not throwing out any hints
Thanks for the replies !
anyways Yes it is Hard to believe that's why its been driving me nuts, have you guys check out the video i posted ^^ up there?
thanks

Quick Reply: AP1 Rough idle, Help, engine problem ! [HELP] please