S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Retainers

Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
I didn't look at your pictures but Billman did so I'll just add this.

This is in your future:

That's mine! So lucky Billman found it before the black smoke found me. This very retainer is now on my keys
Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Ap2 retainers and keepers are an upgrade. They are by far the most reliable parts you can use for this engine.

The definition of upgrade is very skewed in this forum. If by upgrade you mean Ti, I would never use them in my car or a customers. We are not racing for money where .01 HP may give us the edge. Build for reliability and longevity. I'm sure you don't want to be pulling the valve cover every 15k miles to check on your "upgrade", which is clearly a downgrade due to the decreased service life.

Sad to say, you are going to need to pull off all the exhaust retainers as well and inspect them.

After 32 cars with broken retainers, I had my first one (#33) with exhaust retainer damage this week. 4 of them had tiny cracks.
Wow that sucks, good to know though.
On a positive note, my "new" head came in. Only had a min to look at it when I ran home on lunch but looking good so far.
took some bad phone pics, retainers look flat, cams dont show too much wear.

Should be starting this project this weekend.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Was grinding down the valve spring compressor as per the diy today.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't seen this on the thread so thought I would share. I ordered one a few days ago. Found it absolutely excellent. Made the valve retainer job SO easy to do.

http://www.euroexportinc.com/product...7&reviews_id=4

My venture into a car engine was a first for me, though I have worked on DOHC motorcycle engines a lot. I own a similar tool that I use for the bikes when I saw this one it looked very familiar. Actually it works even better than my bike tool does. Highly recommend it.

Now I am faced with putting my little red baby's engine back together and I am puzzled. What is the trick to placing the rocker arms back onto the head? I pulled the cams first, then the rocker arm assembly afterward. When I try to place it back on the head the rockers are all pointing down making it impossible to slip back on. As I said, this is the first time I've done this so I'm undoubtedly doing something dumb.... but I don't know what it is. Any help, advice, guidance, or warnings would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 AM

There was another guy who recently posted pics of his retainers on this thread and asked for feedback as some of us were still trying to train the eye to spot the damage but it appears these posts have been deleted? If so, that's a shame as I'm sure some of us wanted to hear the synopsis.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 AM

Lawur, I came across that tool too bit it's more than I wanted to spend so I went the cheaper route that most people go.
I haven't put the rocker assembly back it but couldn't you flip it upside down first then tie a string around so then when you flip it back up they all point up still?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by devildust
Lawur, I came across that tool too bit it's more than I wanted to spend so I went the cheaper route that most people go.
I haven't put the rocker assembly back it but couldn't you flip it upside down first then tie a string around so then when you flip it back up they all point up still?

Going to try it today. Guess we'll find out if I can break the code. Anyone else have an idea I'm certainly ready to listen.

So far as the retainers go, I bought one of the cheaper spring compressors and ground it down per this sites instructions. I found there was very little room to work with. The retainers and keepers were really hard to get at. It was a piece of cake wit the Euro tool.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 AM

Ok well the retainers are all in, car started lol, but sounds like I have to go back in and re-adjust the valve clearances.
Had some obstacles, dropped a retainer right under the cam gear in between the chain, had to take out the tesioner and the gear to remove it with a magnet.
Here is a new/old retainer, don't mind the cotter on the new retainer and old one snuck in, I replaced right after this picture.
Old retainers were beyond bad.

Here they are

Thanks to everyone for telling me to do this now, cant believe I missed how bad they were.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are one lucky SOB !!!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 AM

Went for a drive after re-adjusting valves, she seems to run great.

Quick Reply: AP1 Retainers