S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 not reaching redline

Old 08-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by mmckernan599gto
So yes, the issue that i described later (what was shown in the video) was definitely different to what I had originally described. The very first time i noticed something was up, it was when i was accelerating in third gear and the car seemed to hit a wall (both in terms of physical acceleration and the revs ceasing to climb), but this only happened once or twice until i noticed the issue getting worse and begin to replicate what is shown in the video on later test drives. The only explanation i can think of is that when i first noticed the problem (i.e. just before i first posted), the clutch was maybe juuust teetering on the edge of slipping/catching at really high RPMs, and it only began to really slip after I had let the heat build up after a longer drive.

I'm hesitant to say that the issue i first described is completely unrelated, as that would be quite the coincidence timing-wise. It doesn't seem to be happening anymore, but i'll definitely be keeping an eye out to see if it happens again.
I'd adjust the rod to give a little play. Go out and drive the car. If you are still having issues at higher RPMs (especially, once the car is warm) --- suspect worn clutch disc. How many miles do you have on that clutch disc? You drive a lot of stop-&-go traffic?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'd adjust the rod to give a little play. Go out and drive the car. If you are still having issues at higher RPMs (especially, once the car is warm) --- suspect worn clutch disc. How many miles do you have on that clutch disc? You drive a lot of stop-&-go traffic?
I adjusted it. After driving post-adjustment, the bite point and operation feels much closer to what it was before i did the CMC. After 40+ minutes of spirited driving, i couldn't replicate the issue once, so i think im in the clear. I don't do stop-&-go traffic much as it's a weekend car and im pretty sure the previous owner was the same. I think the clutch is original so ~72k miles on it
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

switching the symptom to something completely opposite was very confusing to say the least. especially since i didn't catch that the symptom had reversed.