S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Diff. going into an AP2 - Flange Concern

Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up AP1 Diff. going into an AP2 - Flange Concern

Hey all,

I'm about to be purchasing a 4.77 AP1 differential from a fellow member, and was planning on using this in place of my AP2 stock diff...

In order for this AP1 into AP2 swap to work, it's my understanding (amongst everyone tripping over their own words, and my A.D.D.-ass kicking into highgear..lol), that if you are planning to run an AP1 diff on an AP2 car, you have to either drill out the diameter Input Flange holes on the AP1 diff to meet the AP2 stud diameter on the propeller shaft? OR you can swap out the AP1 input flange with an AP2??? Please help me clarify this...

Name:  ap2diffexlode.gif
Views: 802
Size:  20.3 KB

^^ the part circled in red, is the input flange on the AP2... this is what I will be swapping onto the AP1 differential... correct?

Now, what exactly, is the common procedure for doing this Input Flange swap from diff-to-diff?

Looks like it's just that center nut (number 23 on the drawing), which needs to be removed to swap out the two flanges from diff-to-diff... correct?? and when finishing the installation of the old AP2 flange onto the new AP1 diff (which will be going into the car), what is the proper torque spec of this "number 23" nut, for proper fastening of the input flange back onto the pinion shaft???

All pics, help, specs, whatever would be greatly appreciated!!!! shoot, the only thing that I've ever touched on my differential before, was just to swap out my fluid... haha

OH, and ps- I was planning on just purchasing a brand new AP2 Input Flange... my pinion on my last (ap2) diff, bit the dust hard.. so i don't know how salvageable these flanges are after damage such as that..

Thanks in advance everybody, I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,
Tylor W.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Please call me I will walk you through the job. I just can't wright anymore on this

I will post a DIY with pics and ask to have it put in the DIY section of the form. This will help you guys in this dilemma

Send a PM to me and I will send you one back with my number
Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 AM

Hahaha, yea... well you know, I searched the hell out of it, and everyone talking about it, everyone jumbling stuff up, I just got completely lost...

so ya, definitely give me a holler!

ps- was I ANY way, headed in the right direction?????? LOL
Old 02-02-2008, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tylorweaver,Feb 2 2008, 09:09 AM
Hahaha, yea... well you know, I searched the hell out of it, and everyone talking about it, everyone jumbling stuff up, I just got completely lost...

so ya, definitely give me a holler!

ps- was I ANY way, headed in the right direction?????? LOL
You have the right part that needs to be changed
Old 02-02-2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by tylorweaver,Feb 2 2008, 03:48 AM
OH, and ps- I was planning on just purchasing a brand new AP2 Input Flange... my pinion on my last (ap2) diff, bit the dust hard.. so i don't know how salvageable these flanges are after damage such as that..

Thanks in advance everybody, I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,
Tylor W.
As of last week I bought the last AP2 flange available from Honda USA. They may have restocked by now.
You should be able to use your old one
Old 02-02-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

S2KPUDDYDAD

You can always drill and tap and AP1 and make an AP2 from it. Or you can install threadserts in an AP to make it an AP2.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Feb 2 2008, 10:35 AM
S2KPUDDYDAD

You can always drill and tap and AP1 and make an AP2 from it. Or you can install threadserts in an AP to make it an AP2.

It is what Honda is doing with the left over AP1 flanges When I picked up the one I ordered it was a re-tap AP1
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 AM

Hey, S2KPUDDYDAD, mind if I still shoot you a call man? I just need a simple walk-through... I need to get the logistics in my head right first, and when it comes down to my new geared AP1 diff arriving, I might have to give you another call... You know, in case I go braindead and get stuck anywhere.. hah

Thanks again man!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by tylorweaver,Feb 20 2008, 07:55 AM
Hey, S2KPUDDYDAD, mind if I still shoot you a call man? I just need a simple walk-through... I need to get the logistics in my head right first, and when it comes down to my new geared AP1 diff arriving, I might have to give you another call... You know, in case I go braindead and get stuck anywhere.. hah

Thanks again man!
Sure
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ap1 diff ftl

mine just took a poo.

just make sure it hasnt had any clutch drops or launches.

Quick Reply: AP1 Diff. going into an AP2 - Flange Concern