S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 computer on AP2 with APEXI NEO?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 computer on AP2 with APEXI NEO?

I have already tried searching on here as well as H-T and have not come up with the answers I am looking for. What I would like to know is how safe it would be to put an AP1 computer on an AP2 in order to bump up the rev-limiter to 9k as well as hook up an APEXI NEO to it to be able to tune it to run properly as well as lower VTEC. Also, how low can VTEC be taken while still making power, and without any negative affects? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 AM

You should call and talk to a reputable F20 tuner. IMHO.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 AM

my bad F22
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM

I would say you could probably get away with that. Why not go with an AEM EMS and really have it tuned properly?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Nov 27 2007, 11:57 AM
I would say you could probably get away with that. Why not go with an AEM EMS and really have it tuned properly?
Perhaps he doenst want to spend a grand on the aem...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few who have done that...they haven't posted if they had a failure. I know one personally who did it this year and he has set limits, ie normally he limits himself to 8k and only goes to 9k when he needs it to avoid shifting.

You don't need a NEO though...you can use a VAFC1 (a VAFC II isn't enough of an improvement to warrant the extra $ unless you get a great deal on a II).
Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nyther,Nov 27 2007, 05:51 PM
Perhaps he doenst want to spend a grand on the aem...
AP1 Computer $180-200 (used)
Neo $380-420 (new)

+ Tuning (on anything he gets)

I figure if he's doing a swap and looking for performance as well, what's a few hundred more for reliability and a much more tunable set up. Also, he's talking about a piggy-back computer with a learning ECU which will learn to counter-adjust any of the good things done with the NEO.

Doesn't seem ridiculous to me. Not like he said should I get a VAFC and I suggested a full Motec system or something.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:13 PM

I've heard great things about the NEO and if I were to do it I wouldn't care about spending the money to do it right. And NEO's go for $270 or so on ebay. I would really like to talk to whoever has done it if they read this thread just PM me. And I don't plan on doing a swap.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 PM

for what its worth;

there seems to be an obsession with (s)AFC's over there. I mean, over here they're just very basic and more for bling factor than anything else... It's always either Unichip or Emanage (blue or ultimate) here as those are much more powerful in terms of tuning strength and hiding itself from a learning ECU. Unichip for example works on my Siemens EMS700 equipped car whereas an AFC gets over-ridden within minutes .

Even then, it took the Unichip guys quite awhile to figure out how to tune it when the car was doing less than 90% throttle without the ECU figuring it out. Which, unless i'm mistaken, is also a limitation with SAFC's on the s2k?

I don't think an emanage costs much more than the AFC Neo over there, and it seems like a better middle ground between the apexi and the AEM to me.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by FTW.inc,Nov 27 2007, 10:13 PM
I've heard great things about the NEO and if I were to do it I wouldn't care about spending the money to do it right. And NEO's go for $270 or so on ebay. I would really like to talk to whoever has done it if they read this thread just PM me. And I don't plan on doing a swap.
Do a little seaching on here and you'll find some first-hand accounts of people who have both VAFCs VAFCIIs and NEOs. They all do basically the same thing, and all have the same limitations that some of the other ECU enhancements/replacements do not.

I shouldn't have said a swap before, sounds like you have an AP2 and are looking for a higher redline, without sacrificing reliability. Well, you're getting much closer to dangerous territory by raising the redline on the F22C but that doesn't mean it can't be reliable with the right precautions.

I have not installed and tuned these devices but I know how to do research in multiple places and it tells me that I'd go with either an Emanage or AEM EMS. Neither of those will have the constant need to be reset, allowing the ECU to step in and effectively undo your tuning by compensating to restore the original maps and other settings.

Asking for someone to just PM you the answer defeats the point of this whole forum. We all post our own questions, and learn from eachothers' posts. If you're looking for a private answer, PM someone privately with your initial question hope that one person can help and wants to help. If you want answers from multiple points of view, post in a thread (like you did) and keep the dialog open to help both yourself and others in the future.

Quick Reply: AP1 computer on AP2 with APEXI NEO?