S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Clutch buzz or trans rebuild needed
Clutch buzz
100.00%
Trans rebuild needed
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

AP1 clutch buzz or time for new trans?

Old 09-13-2024, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 clutch buzz or time for new trans?

hello everyone I’m new to the forum and first time posting out of desperation for help.
just purchased ap1 29k miles 2000
it just got delivered to me this morning and took it to the shop for inspection. Test drive was fine. However when it got on the lift and rev ed engine, this sound was heard every time tech stepped on the gas.
one tech says it’s well known clutch buzz other 2 tech says something is broken off or loose inside of trans and needs rebuild or remanufactured one..
which tech is right based on YouTube video below?

thank you for your help.
i hope it’s just normal clutch buzz

https://youtube.com/shorts/kySQSqJHww8?si=aJhgpoWf4jixCnOa
Old 09-14-2024, 02:09 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

If it's an OEM clutch it's probably buzz and a rattling fork. If it's an aftermarket clutch, it's the clutch.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Clutch buzz happens on decel, and with load (car in gear). Its very noticible in cabin.

This doesn't seem like clutch buzz, for several reasons.
Old 09-14-2024, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Clutch buzz happens on decel, and with load (car in gear). Its very noticible in cabin.

This doesn't seem like clutch buzz, for several reasons.
Thank you for your input. The car is in gear and the rear wheels are spinning as the tech is reving.
It has noticeable clutch buzz in cabin when driven. I am just wondering the sound in the clip is the clutch buzz I am hearing from cabin or other transmission problem that would cost me $$$

Old 09-14-2024, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
If it's an OEM clutch it's probably buzz and a rattling fork. If it's an aftermarket clutch, it's the clutch.
It’s oem and only has 29k miles. Thank you for your input
Old 09-14-2024, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Umaya87
Thank you for your input. The car is in gear and the rear wheels are spinning as the tech is reving.
It has noticeable clutch buzz in cabin when driven. I am just wondering the sound in the clip is the clutch buzz I am hearing from cabin or other transmission problem that would cost me $$$

The wheels spinning in the air isn't enough load. On the road, when lifting off throttle, the cars entire mass, combined wirh its speed, provide a significant momentum, that pushes against engines resistance to turn (primarily its compression), and which travels through drivetrain, including clutch.

Its this reverse momentum that illicits the buzz. The wheels and drivetrain by themselves (hanging free on a lift) do not have enough mass, hence not enough momentum, to recreate the environment in which buzz buzzes.
Old 09-14-2024, 05:46 PM

The wheels spinning in the air isn't enough load. On the road, when lifting off throttle, the cars entire mass, combined wirh its speed, provide a significant momentum, that pushes against engines resistance to turn (primarily its compression), and which travels through drivetrain, including clutch.

Its this reverse momentum that illicits the buzz. The wheels and drivetrain by themselves (hanging free on a lift) do not have enough mass, hence not enough momentum, to recreate the environment in which buzz buzzes.
basically you mean I’m in more trouble than a clutch buzz regardless thank you for your expertise
Old 09-15-2024, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Umaya87
basically you mean I'm in more trouble than a clutch buzz regardless thank you for your expertise
Sadly yes
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Sadly yes
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Does not sound like clutch buzz. May be something related to the clutch though. If you are certain it is coming from the trans area, time to pull it and inspect the clutch first to see what is going on. Rebuilding these transmissions is getting harder as a lot of the parts no longer exist new. You can get synchros and stuff if you look around, gears 2-5 are non existent new as are some other items. But either someone beat the living shit out of the transmission (they do not just fail often on this car) or it is some noise related to the clutch. There is really no good way to get a good look at the clutch without pulling the trans though. You can pull the slave and stick an inspection cam in but cant really see enough other than if there is shrapnel in the bell housing.

But one data point you have is it appears this only occurs when the car is NOT under much load, if you do not hear it all when driving it but do hear it on the lift. It only happens on the lift when in gear? Does it continue in all gears or just specific gears? Does it do it all in neutral when on the lift and revving it?