S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 burns oil, but how much is acceptable?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll continue to beat the dead horse as well. First, my AP1 burns Mobil 1 Synthetic, maybe a quarter or 2 every 3,000 miles. Second, if you do a compression test and everything checks out, I think you are ok. I just deal with it and stay on top of the oil levels and never have any problems. I could switch brands, but I am ok with topping off, and my car performs well.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 AM

I used Mobile 1 first time I got my S2 and it made some loud ticky noice and used oil more then what I wanted... So I had the valves adjusted at the dealer... Still some minor tick... Then changed the oil to AMSOIL and oil consumption is on par and tick be gone! I feel a difference in performance also.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM

Thanks again all. Appreciate your response. Many are very helpful. Still learning this car day by day.

I was looking at engine bay closely yesterday and suddenly realized there is oil sludge on the engine cover. I don't recall oil sludge there before but I am not certain. It seems just little bit around and not everywhere. Nothing on the floor. Maybe another problem? Sigh...

Later I brought the car to mechanics and they said they didn't see any oil on the chassis so probably just oil dripping on the side when adding engine oil. Nothing to worry about. False alarm. So far I tried Amsoil and it burned less.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 AM

i'm guessin you didn't really see it after the oil change was done by said mechanic? i mean, you didn't notice anything different after the work was done? it looks to me the mechanic was a bit sloppy coz i've done that before lol. spilled a good bit of oil on the cover that is.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is an AP1 with about 90K and burn about 1.5 qts. every 3k miles. Guess I should feel lucky....
Old 12-31-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried every oil on the market and I still burn 1 quart every thousand. With that said I have no allegiance to any oils. Whatever is on sale on walmart usually goes in my car.

1 quart every 1k might be excessive for other cars but actually quite normal for AP1s
Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 AM

yup im around that 1k a quart range. lol i dont mind. my motor has done the exact same for 30k and has been through a 75shot spraying at 4k and not one issue. compression is exactly the same. still burns the same amount as when i bought it at 50k miles. now over 80,xxx miles.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BusBus,

First off, let me say congrats on your purchase of an S2000 with 60K miles. You now know it consumes oil, and you ran it so low that it may have some engine damage now. But you'd like/love to keep it if it hasn't been damaged, and can't afford a rebuild to take care of the annoying consumption problem.

There are lots of suggestions above that might help, and you should consider them. Since I own an AP2 with no consumption issues, I can't offer any anecdotes of my own to sooth your wounds. But I am familiar with a product that might be able to help you out, assuming that you haven't caused any damage to your engine. It's called Auto-Rx and is sold online http://auto-rx.com/index.html only.

I recommend that you call Frank Miller personally and tell him your situation and let him recommend a therapeutic regimen for your oil consumption issue. I recommend a phone call over an email. His writing skills aren't particularly comprehensive enough for your problem IMO.

Trying this product may cost you all of $30. That's not too bad if it works. If your rings are coked up with debris causing massive blow-by, then I suspect that you will be happy with Auto-Rx. I have used for a few years now for issues other than oil consumption, and it has saved me thousands of dollars.

Don't forget to change your PCV valve before and after the ARX treatment.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and I hope you get to keep your S2000.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I always believe you can do certain things to improve your consumption issues , it doesn't cost much and it can be worthwhile. If it was my car I'd try a number of things such as mentioned above. Keep that puppy running as it was intended.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Dec 31 2010, 11:50 AM
BusBus,

First off, let me say congrats on your purchase of an S2000 with 60K miles. You now know it consumes oil, and you ran it so low that it may have some engine damage now. But you'd like/love to keep it if it hasn't been damaged, and can't afford a rebuild to take care of the annoying consumption problem.

There are lots of suggestions above that might help, and you should consider them. Since I own an AP2 with no consumption issues, I can't offer any anecdotes of my own to sooth your wounds. But I am familiar with a product that might be able to help you out, assuming that you haven't caused any damage to your engine. It's called Auto-Rx and is sold online http://auto-rx.com/index.html only.

I recommend that you call Frank Miller personally and tell him your situation and let him recommend a therapeutic regimen for your oil consumption issue. I recommend a phone call over an email. His writing skills aren't particularly comprehensive enough for your problem IMO.

Trying this product may cost you all of $30. That's not too bad if it works. If your rings are coked up with debris causing massive blow-by, then I suspect that you will be happy with Auto-Rx. I have used for a few years now for issues other than oil consumption, and it has saved me thousands of dollars.

Don't forget to change your PCV valve before and after the ARX treatment.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and I hope you get to keep your S2000.
Have you used this product on your s2000? I'm interested but have been weary of engine cleaners ever since I used seafoam in my camry. Which caused major issues afterwards.

Quick Reply: AP1 burns oil, but how much is acceptable?