S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 burns oil, but how much is acceptable?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by busbus,Dec 28 2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion. My car has 60K miles. I think the first intervals was using Mobile1 synthetic 5W30 which is lower than the spec 10W30 as I found out later. I haven't checked oil at all during first interval as I don't know s2000 maintenance. Now I am sure checking it like every gas fillup. I would look up the pcv suggestion too.

For those that suggest to rebuild the engine, is the engine going to get worse if I don't rebuild it? It's too expensive for me to rebuild the engine and I would rather let go of this fun car.
Ap1 burn a lot of oil, some burn more than others depending on what oil your using. The guy your taking the car too has no clue about s2000 and is just comparing the amount of oil its burned to a normal car. I would not sell your car until change out the MOBILE 1 and take it to a honda dealer and see what they think.

You have a very cool car that can bring some good times, dont pass up this one with out checking every possible aspect. You'll never find a car like it...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a compression test done on the motor, before you do anything drastic such as selling the car or rebuilding the motor. Some people here seem to be jumping the gun. 2 quarts low does not automatically mean engine failure. Get it checked out by a competent mechanic who is familiar with the S2000.

I would also recommend trying a different oil besides Mobile 1, because my car burns through it quicker than other brands. Try some Valvoline Maxlife, or Castrol Syntec. My car does not burn through those oils as easily and they are readily available.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by bigbombula,Dec 29 2010, 01:01 AM
Some people here seem to be jumping the gun. 2 quarts low does not automatically mean engine failure.
Not sure how you came up with two quarts low, he said he added 4.5 quarts to get it back to full. That means he had 0.6 quarts left in the engine. I would say it is very unlikely that there is no damage from this. I don't even think it's possible that he maintained adequate oil pressure with this amount.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Dec 29 2010, 01:42 AM
Not sure how you came up with two quarts low, he said he added 4.5 quarts to get it back to full. That means he had 0.6 quarts left in the engine. I would say it is very unlikely that there is no damage from this. I don't even think it's possible that he maintained adequate oil pressure with this amount.
I guess I am the one who jumped the gun by misreading the facts. In that case good luck with the engine.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Another option is to avoid vtec for a bit. you may notice that your consumption will be eradicated.

ps built in dipstick error?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Dec 28 2010, 10:35 PM
I'm not so sure you are burning excessive oil, so don't panic just yet. What part of the country do you live in ?, it would be good to know the climate you drive in mostly.

If it was my car I'd run a couple short runs of a high mileage 10w30 oil, something like Valvoline, Castrol, Penzoil, they all have a high mileage oil in their lineup. I would run a couple of short runs for 2000 miles each, you could probably get away without changing the oil filter between the runs to reduce costs. The high mileage oil will clean up the engine, as you don't know how it was treated in the past, and it helps to treat the engine seals, which can help to reduce oil seepage. Also check or replace the pcv valve. After the two cleaning runs, if you can afford to run Amsoil try their 10w30 weight and see how it goes. You might also consider Castrol 0w30 German made Syntec, or any good quality conventional oil such as Penzoil, Havoline, Castrol to name a few in 10w30 weights.

Start measuring the oil consumption regularly and track the miles as accurately as you can. If you use up to 1 quart per 1000 miles you will be in the acceptable range, and nothing is really wrong with your engine. If you approach 1.5 - 2 quarts per 1000 miles you might be in the poor consumption range and you'll have to make a decision at that time. It doesn't mean your consumption will continue to get worse and it doesn't mean your engine will suffer due to it. You could drive it like that for many years without issues. I don't think you will get that bad though based on your last measurement.

* Note: Please keep in mind that there is a built in error reading on all S2K oil dipsticks. One side of the dipstick will always read lower than the other side, by about 2x or more. Always go by the lower reading on the dipstick, always check both sides for the reading and go by the lower reading as it will be the more accurate level every time. The dipstick error may explain some of your earlier issues if you weren't reading it correctly.

good luck.
is this true by going with the side on the dipstick with the lower reading?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 AM

^very true.

The lower reading is the actual, the higher reading is oil wiped off of the dipstick tube.

I always read the stick 3 times or more, reading only the lowest of the three readings (x2) combined.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Dec 29 2010, 08:51 AM
^very true.

The lower reading is the actual, the higher reading is oil wiped off of the dipstick tube.

I always read the stick 3 times or more, reading only the lowest of the three readings (x2) combined.
lol, I swear it takes me about 5 minutes to read my oil level. First you have the alternate readings on the dipstick, then after an oil change the oil colour is so clear it is hard to see. I pull out my magnifying glass to actually see the levels on the dipstick. Doesn't help that I'm getting old and my eyesight is crap as well.
The following users liked this post:
ExitSpeedPhoto (08-01-2023)
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i also thought that my S is burning oil.
after following up it turned out that oil level was sometimes steady after hard driving, sometimes droping even after 50 pretty relaxed miles on highway.
probably mostly escapes through PCV valve.

Quick Reply: AP1 burns oil, but how much is acceptable?