S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ap1 4th gear pop-out - replace detent springs?

Old 01-18-2020, 03:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ap1 4th gear pop-out - replace detent springs?

I have a stock MY00 Ap1 with 106,000 and it tends to pop out of 4th gear with reasonable frequency. Changed the MT oil about 3k miles ago with Honda oil and it didn't seem to help. I've read about replacing the detent selector springs as a possible fix. Not really looking to tear the transmission off at this point, although probably will need a new clutch as some point. It seems that there are 5 springs (parts 8-11, #9 seems to be the same twice):

https://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...-mt-shift-fork

Is this a reasonable idea? Are these accessible without dropping the transmission? And are they replaced as a set if I'm going to do this or does anyone know which one is responsible for 4th gear? I'm fine with replacing all of them if I need to, but on a 20 year old stock car that is otherwise fantastic mechanically, I hate to fix what isn't broken.

Thanks!
Greg
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

When was the last time you did the transmission fluid? I learned the hard way that it must be done at least once a year minimum. Do not listen to the manual, change it together with the diff fluid once a year.

How often was it changed by the previous owner?
Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 AM

I did it 3000 miles and 9 months ago with Honda MT fluid. Hard to know previously, because this car was my father-in-law's. He had a stroke almost 2 years ago and lost the ability to speak or communicate with us. He was an engineer and tended to take pretty good care of things mechanically and it was his daily car for 18 years. From what we remember from driving with him, it seems to have done this for a long time. My wife remembers him skipping 4th just to avoid it. It doesn't happen every time in 4th, just usually when coming off the throttle and doing something like coasting in downhill.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I had it happen a few times. I adjusted the clutch, bleed the fluid, regressed the shifter (just while I'm doing all this) and changed my transmission fluid. I did use some new fluid to get a bit more old gunk out.

I did put on a heavier knob as well to help a tad for cold shifting. I haven't had pop out now when shifting to the next gear at 4K RPM. I do avoid decelerating in 4th gear however. I will either downshift or upshift.

I haven't heard of replacing that spring however. I heard it works for AP2s 2nd gear though.

If I were to go about doing this I would also add the AP2 or ACT reduction gear while you are in these for the shorter 1-4 gearing.
​​​​​
Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, I think you are looking at it as an internal problem? These springs are external and don't involve removing the transmission as far as I can tell. After reading around here on the subject, Billman posted about these springs as a treatment for popping out of gear (#70 in this thread) from back in 2010.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post18109260

But I don't think the answer was ever given as to what spring goes with which gear at that time. Thought maybe the collective knowledge around might have an answer now.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:44 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

MY01. 21,672 miles on the clock. 4th gear pop-out. It's happened 4 or 5 times in the 5,235 miles I've logged since I got it July 27th, 2018. I had all the fluids changed August 1st, 2018. So I am following this thread. In the spring I am gonna tell my guy about it when I have it serviced.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by gcole
Billman posted about these springs as a treatment for popping out of gear (#70 in this thread) from back in 2010.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post18109260

But I don't think the answer was ever given as to what spring goes with which gear at that time. Thought maybe the collective knowledge around might have an answer now.
I checked his history and he didn't make a thread about it, but I did not go back to check all his posts

Edit: While looking into this more I found this Upgraded Detent Springs and they may be able to give more information about it. I sent them an email to see if I can get some answers. Seems like a fairly simple swap if that is all.
​​​​​

Last edited by Live Fast; 01-19-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:58 AM

Yes, those are the springs that I am talking about. Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with changing these out and if it actually helps with popping out of gear?
Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 AM

In looking at those aftermarket springs, it looks like the kit comes with 4 detent springs and a new selector spring. But the Honda parts diagram shows 6 springs, which would seem to make sense. Any ideas which one doesn't get replaced? I'm going to check with ManualGearBox as well.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by gcole
In looking at those aftermarket springs, it looks like the kit comes with 4 detent springs and a new selector spring. But the Honda parts diagram shows 6 springs, which would seem to make sense. Any ideas which one doesn't get replaced? I'm going to check with ManualGearBox as well.
I count 5 for each but I believe they did update their page. They also have some light instructions on their page now as well. Might as well buy the Honda Parts and swap them and see.

They never reached back out to me but they did kind of answer the question by updating their page. I believe their pieces are all the exact same.

Quick Reply: Ap1 4th gear pop-out - replace detent springs?