S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone running a unsprung clutch?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a unsprung clutch?

Might be trading my VW for a S2K this weekend. There are a few things that bother me about the car and one of them is that it has a unsprung clutch. Just wondering how bad will it suck in a street car? I know I need to test drive it but we actually live 7 hours apart and are meeting halfway. Please give me some insight if you can. Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

if you have never driven on an unsprung clutch it can be quite a pain. I DD on my 4 puck in my integra for a few years.

Where is the car? any more information on it?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM

The car is in PA. Has Megan coilovers, headers, test pipe, Invidia catback, replica Works wheels, 135k miles, maintained well. Also has big horseshoe shaped scratch on quarter and small tear in the top.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Wouldn't pay more than $10k for that to be honest. There's a reason stock cars hold their value more, if this guy did everything right then you should request alignment sheets, check the condition of the tires, look at the upper control arm bushings and see if they're torn. Remove the wheel caps and look to see if the axle nut has been torqued properly. Then open the hood, and look for leaks, if they engine bay looks too clean it means he cleaned it, which means it's leaking somewhere. Obvious spot is to run your finger under the TCT, if you pull a little line of oil there's a leak somewhere. If the clutch feels heavy chances are it's on it's way out, it may last another 10-20k miles. If the rear quarter panel is damaged there is no OEM replacement, just letting you know.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Wouldn't pay more than $10k for that to be honest. There's a reason stock cars hold their value more, if this guy did everything right then you should request alignment sheets, check the condition of the tires, look at the upper control arm bushings and see if they're torn. Remove the wheel caps and look to see if the axle nut has been torqued properly. Then open the hood, and look for leaks, if they engine bay looks too clean it means he cleaned it, which means it's leaking somewhere. Obvious spot is to run your finger under the TCT, if you pull a little line of oil there's a leak somewhere. If the clutch feels heavy chances are it's on it's way out, it may last another 10-20k miles. If the rear quarter panel is damaged there is no OEM replacement, just letting you know.
What are your thoughts on the tear in the top? He said it does not leak. Is that possible?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Unsprung clutch feel depends on the clutch itself. There are ones that are somewhat streetable and others that are not. I had an ACT unsprung clutch in an S2000 that I owned that was pretty easy to drive on the street but I still wouldn't recommend it over sprung clutches.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

i have driver on the street for years in my younger years with single disc puck style unspring clutches and i would not even recommend it for a daily driver. They are great for racing but for daily stop and go traffic it will make you hate your car. Drivability is hugely impacted.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by abadgti
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1437601988' post='23689549
What are your thoughts on the tear in the top? He said it does not leak. Is that possible?
No it's not, if there's a tear, it will leak, especially if you use the top. To be honest if you're not going to go top down, it's not worth getting. You can get a decent high quality replacement top for about $550-600 OEM tops are a bit more $800-900, and it takes about 10 hours of your time to install it if you have some mechanical skills. It's completely doable, just set aside a weekend and just work on it a bit at a time. You can probably knock it out in two days. There's plenty of good DIY's around here. I'm planning to replace mine in a month or two, mine is the original top, and the previous owner didn't really take good care of it, I have about 7 patches on it right now, and it's a bit embarrassing, but after 140k miles it was going to happen sooner or later.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

wrong post
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The fact that the hub is unsprung has little to do with the harshness everyone complains about. Most unsprung discs have an aggressive friction material that causes the drivability problems. The lack of a marcel spring (large flat wavy washer) between the friction faces also contributes. I've run an organic faced solid hub disc and it was fantastic in my daily.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a unsprung clutch?