S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

anyone prove they have had engine problems due to Not breaking the car in properly???

Old 03-13-2003, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mas

Anyone else has an S2k that does not burn oil? [/B]

I have yet to have ANY oil use (12,000 miles) and I sometimes wonder what is "wrong" with my car after reading all the oil use on this site. I did the break in carefuly out of respect for the car and my own piece of mind.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by mas
:Anyone else has an S2k that does not burn oil?
My car has over 25K miles including more than a few track days and has never used any measurable amount of oil.

It was driven over 600 miles the first day of a drive back home from the dealership. Started with 50 miles of low load city driving, followed by ~600 on the highway varying load/rpm under 5500 / speeds under 60 mph. Then completed the 1600 mile drive with varying speeds/rpm with occasional VTEC. I could tell the engine really did not loosen-up until over 2000 miles.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by mas
Elistan: You sure about no oil loss? How often do you check it? Do you wipe off the dipstick before you check? Not trying to challenge what you're saying, just trying to make sure you're checking it right.
I check it very rarely, actually. Just did so a few hours ago - the level was right at the bottom mark (just above the L.) Of course, I have no idea what the level started at when I got it changed almost exactly 3000 miles ago. When I get it changed in a few more weeks (got a track event coming up April 12-13) I'll pay more attention to levels and such. I've two autocrosses on this oil, for what it's worth.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena

Or you will have scoring, and heavier wear on all friction surfaces including the ones that can hurt performance as well as longevity.

IMO, The drive it hard from the start benefits are a myth propagated by those that have no patience or discipline.
Ya, back when I was a young Punk, my dad used to lease cars from the company he worked for. In '76 he leased two Plymouth Volares. One Yellow and one Black . We picked them both up on the same day. Same amount of miles on them.
Dad used to drive routinely to and from work. Round trip was about 55 miles. Dad was and still is a VERY careful easy driver.
The rest of the family got stuck with . I was a punk and beat the living hell out er during break-in. I beat the shiot out of on a daily basis. Revs to lows...whatever. I just beat er poor thing.
We had the cars through all four seasons for two years. With no major problems. I'm not sure what oil usage was. I never checked. Nor did I care.
Dad has ALWAYS recorded his gas mileage, and the maintenance that was performed. He would take car now and again and found got better mileage then
I cant' say what happened after we turned and back in, but I would hope someone had fun with them
Oh ya, Dad was a mechanical engineer. He assisted in the development of the harpoon missile engine.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWRMKR
[B]

Ya, back when I was a young Punk, my dad used to lease cars from the company he worked for. In '76 he leased two Plymouth Volares. One Yellow and one Black . We picked them both up on the same day. Same amount of miles on them.