S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

anyone prove they have had engine problems due to Not breaking the car in properly???

Old 03-13-2003, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truthfully, MHO is that it's a trade off between performance and longentivity
i hear people say this all the time.............

what is considered longevity? there are individuals i have spoken to on the board that have close to 60000 miles with no problems at all and a hard break-in. numerous people

Im not looking to get 100 000 miles out of the car to be honest................
Old 03-13-2003, 05:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by SLAPMYFRO
Im not looking to get 100 000 miles out of the car to be honest................
I pray that I never buy a used car from you.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:14 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skogshuggarn
[B]Are all of the cars on the dyno sheet stock???
Old 03-13-2003, 05:17 AM

What i meant was I only put about 12000 miles on the car per year, so for me to reach 100 000 miles , means i would have to keep the car for around 8 years. im not looking to keep the car for that long,

I'll let you know when i sell it Gernby............
Old 03-13-2003, 06:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWRMKR
[B]You have to ask yourself, do real race cars run for 600 miles before real races? Of course not!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWRMKR
[B]If you break it in hard, off the lot, the engine matting surfaces will have deeper cuts. Thus, you will have a loser engine, less friction, maybe a little more HP, and gas mileage. Maybe...
Old 03-13-2003, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
IMO, The drive it hard from the start benefits are a myth propagated by those that have no patience or discipline.
And by those who are keeping all their fingers and toes crossed that nothing will ever go wrong with their cars. By spouting off to the world about it, they won't be alone if they were wrong. There's comfort in numbers. Remember when you used to go to detention? It didn't feel so bad when there were others there with you.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:18 AM
mas

Originally posted by cdelena

IMO, The drive it hard from the start benefits are a myth propagated by those that have no patience or discipline.

Elistan: You sure about no oil loss? How often do you check it? Do you wipe off the dipstick before you check? Not trying to challenge what you're saying, just trying to make sure you're checking it right.

Anyone else has an S2k that does not burn oil?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really do feel that the way a car is broken in or how it is driven from day i makes a huge difference on how well the motor will preform. (more horsepower). I wish i thought differently.
I think the problems with your worries lie in this sentence.

Huge difference??? A few horsepower is not a huge difference. What is 5-10 extra horsepower going to do for you anyway? You would barely be able to feel it if at all. It may be worth one half of one tenth better times in a quarter mile which is something this car wasn't even designed for.

When you get the car just drive it and enjoy it and don't worry about a measly few horses. Honda has been building some of the best engines in the world for many years now. Why wouldn't you want to follow their own recommendations?
Old 03-13-2003, 09:20 AM

It always amazes me when owners want to do something different than what Honda says in the owner's manual. There's a lot of owners that change their original break-in oil to synthetic oil, drive it hard before the 600 mile mark by going into VTEC and/or redline. They compare their Ss to the Boxster or Vette and think they can do the same with their Ss as those other cars. The S's engine is unlike any other engine out there. Honda says to break it in properly and do the oil changes accordingly. There are many Hondas out there with well over 100,000 miles on them. I don't know how well the S's engine would do at that point if not properly broken in from the beginning.

Quick Reply: anyone prove they have had engine problems due to Not breaking the car in properly???