S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone interested in a complete S2000 turbo kit including Motec?

Old 05-07-2002, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have some new pics for you guys to look at if you like.

http://www.hypertune.com.au/guru/

There is a pic of when we had the GT3037S on it, and some pics of the GT3040, etc.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:05 AM

Could someone relay some information regarding the pros/cons of the HKS turbos?

The Speedcraft kit comes with the smallest 60-1 turbo (named "Hi Fi") from Turbonetics, it spools quickly and seems liek it can push alot of air.. The retail is around $900 or so..

The HKS retail prices are ungodly expensive, what the hell is so special about them? There must be something to them because making 345 at 6psi is extremely impressive.

Chris
Old 05-07-2002, 07:16 AM

Old 05-07-2002, 07:29 AM

Basically, they are the latest technology available. They employ a true dual ball bearing cartrige, the latest design GT turbine wheels, and late model high efficiency compressor wheels.
You guys are way behind Australia in this regard. We have not used a non BB turbo for years, and many other shops are the same. Usually, we use Garrett GT turbos (they make HKS turbos) but sometimes the HKS ones are nice because of the more compact turbine housing. They also have some trims that you can't buy from Garrett. We sell Garrett GT turbos for around 1500 USD, so they aren't really that expensive.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:26 AM

Interesting dyno.. the most surprising part is that it seems remarkably like the stock curve, only magnified (quite a bit). It appears as if you aren't making more than 250 until 7000+.. some thoughts on that: perhaps a smaller compressor housing would work better? It seems as if it's not spooling really until well into vtec area.. Question, why did you choose to only route 3 of the exhaust cylinders through the turbo manifold? Aren't we losing a little bit of oomph there to get the turbo spinning quickly?

It looks as if the motec is doing wonders for that torque curve though.. man that's smooth. Do you have this hooked up to a lambda sensor running in real-time mode? Honestly, that's what I'm the most interested in, getting a motec/ems setup with the wideband o2 running in real time. I'm leaning a bit more towards ems because of the windows setup, but leaning more towards motec because of the *cough*wes*cough* ems issues.

One more q - what's the turbo's exhaust housing coated with there in the engine bay picture? It looks real sharp. Mine's not coated and it gets quite rusty.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:02 AM

The coating is what you pay the extra money for man!

The green line on there is the stock s2000 dyno, not the torque curve. If it were the torque curve it would be down about 50 lbs from the Speedcraft setup

I don't get the manifold ethier.. that can't be the one they are using on the car??

Chris
Old 05-07-2002, 10:35 AM

That manifold looks awfully similar to the top fuel manifold.

but I dont get the missing exhaust route (number 4?) or (1) whatever one it is.....
Old 05-07-2002, 02:32 PM

Guys,
The dyno curve you see is street tuned only usning 0.4 Bar (6psi) boost.
It is clear, by looking at the dyno sheet that the car is making substantialy more power than stock from the boost threashold up. (3000rpm).
Producing a similar curve to stock is to be expected at such low boost with standard camshafts. We've found that DC2 Type R integras and B16A civics do this too with high comp/low boost setups...
About the 4th port.... The exhaust manifold photo was taken when we were making it...
Obviously all 4 ports enter the turbo, the picture show was chosen so you guys could see what it looks like.
I'll find a finished photo...
Using a Motec by itself won't ganantee you instant smooth power etc. But there is no reason you can't have what you want. The Motec used in this instance is an M48 pro. It does not have wide band lambda enabled. But that is simply a case of purchasing a code from Motec.
To be honest with you, the power curve is nothing special.
Mark & I tuned this car in one night... Whilst cruising Bondi, through the city then on to my parents place up the coast, for a late dinner... (Yes... it was cool fun)
Choose your aftermarket ECU wisley... remember, you really do get what you pay for...
Finally, The turbo's exhaust housing is HPC coated...

Team Hybrid,
Do you mean Mie Top Fuel ? From Matsusaka, Japan?
Their S2000 turbo manifold is a low mount...
It is simiar I spose... if you look at it upsidedown...
Old 05-07-2002, 04:08 PM

Another couple of points regarding the dyno graph.
Firstly, we were using a .2 bar spring. The car would only run .2 bar up to around 5500, untill the vtec switched. Then, the boost would gradually climb untill a peak of .4 bar at 9000 rpm. That is why the power climbs so much at high RPM.

Secondly, it is obvious to most people I assume, but the run with the turbo was started at a higher RPM. I think if you started both runs from even 1000 rpm, the turbo would make more all the way.

With the exhaust manifold, you can actually see that it is bolted to a big chunk of aluminium. That is what I use when I weld them up, to stop the flange warping.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Alternatively I'd be interested in the IC and piping for my project.

I might be interested in the manifold too if it can take a Garrett T28 or similar HKS turbo.

I want to keep the A/C so I'm only interested if the IC can be fitted with the condenser in place and the manifold can be fitted with the A/C lines.
why T28? that's kinda small.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in a complete S2000 turbo kit including Motec?