S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone here do their own Comptech SC install???

Old 02-03-2002, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here do their own Comptech SC install???

One of my co-workers is picking up a used S2K with 3,000 miles on it, and plans to do the Comptech SC install.

I'm going with him Monday to look over the car up and down to make sure their are no problems/damage/accidents to the car, and I said that I should be able to install the SC package for him, and save him some money.

I downloaded the .pdf file from Comptech and just breezing it, it looks fairly straight forward, not too much more involved than the Jackson model I put on my father's Miata.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has done one themselves, and any complications you might have run into??

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:27 AM

I have not done one but it shoudn't be hard at all
Old 02-03-2002, 10:31 AM

when your friend bought the used kit, did he make sure to get the new upgraded fuel pump also??
usually people who sells their SC kit, they dont take the old fuel pump out.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:17 AM

He's buying a used S2K ..... and then buying the kit from Comptech new.

The instructions look similar to the Jackson one I installed on my father's Miata. But I am looking for anyone that has actually done it so I can be ready for any typical problems that come up.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:44 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Pretty straight forward.
Couple of helpful hints:
Access the Fuel Pump thru the truck instead of from behind the seats.
You'll need to make, buy or otherwise procure a tool to hold the crank pulley to get the bolt out off it (the bolt is normal right hand thread, just tight as hell, CCW to loosen).
Here's the tool I made:

Old 02-03-2002, 03:58 PM

The S/C install is pretty straight forward. If you have installed a supercharger on any other car before you should have no problem installing the Comptech kit. Be sure and procure the crank pulley removal tool before you start the installation. Some honda dealers will let you borrow or rent the tool (mine does).

I thought I would be able to do the install without the pulley tool and I was wrong.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:12 AM

Thanks!

The pulley tool was the only thing I was really worried about. I figured I would have to buy it, use it, clean it, return it ...... that was what I had to do to get the pulley off of my Civic. My impact wrench (electric) couldn't put out enough torque, so I went to Sears, got a 600 ft-lbs air impact, rented the compressor from Home Depot, used it, returned everything .......

I was also a little curious about what they would do to oil cool the SC, but was very happy to see that they just use a braided line in place of the plug.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:20 PM

Sweet, thanks guys!

That was the kind of info. I was looking for!
Old 02-04-2002, 01:03 PM

Hey guys, I am thinking of having mine installed by a Honda mechanic (waiting for the aftercoller unit from Comptech or the Vortech kit). However, I came across a post from Rogman, saying that he had to remove his due to excessive vibration and cracks in brackets. I have searched the site on SC problems but I need someone to once and for all help me with this: Is the SC causing more problems relative to its benefits? what do you guys think?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:43 PM

You got all the hints you will need. The pulley removal and fuel pump install are key. Pulley is hard and pump is tight working space.

I have not experienced the vibrations in mine. The idle sounds are a give away. It just hisses and whistles. There's also a slight whine noise that is to be expected from within the SC unit itself.

People who have problems usually cross up a hose somewhere. Follow all plumbing directions carefully. If an engine warning light is on after install, you have a rubber hose hooked up incorrectly.

After the install, be sure to fasten your seat belt!