S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

anyone had stretched valves?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Done it plenty of times with an overhead valve spring compressor, avail at the local auto parts. I had to cut away parts of it so it fit down in the head and around the spring.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is nice to know. This seems to make cracked retainers an easy fix, provided they are caught in time, of course. Squeezer if you have that link handy, I would be curious to see the part.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:32 PM

^yeah i see both my snap-on and my mac dealers once a week.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:57 PM

so a different dealer has the car now. they said that they have adjusted the valves and it's still running rough and they're going to look at it some more. when i brought the car in it threw misfire codes for all 4 cylinders.

can i assume that:

1. a leakdown test was performed? it would seem like one of the first and easiest things to do to eliminate bent valves from the possible cause of the misfire.

2. the retainers are ok? they wouldn't do a valve adjustment with broken retainers, right?

3. the valves are not stretched. i told them of the other dealer's assessment and they have not said they agreed with it. and they wouldn't adjust the valves if they were stretched, i assume.

Could it be something else, like the injectors or ignition components?

thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

None of those can be assumed....

Except the last one...I highly doubt you have stretched valves. That's rediculous.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:38 PM

First question:

How does a computer know you are mis-firing from a mechanical problem? Ignition I could see, or mixture. I mean if it threw the mixture off, the O2 sensor might toss out a voltage so out of whack that the computer would assume all four were off.

Second question: How do you diagnose valve stretch? VERY UN-COMMON! It's a stock engine fer chrissake. I've mis shifted mine to 10,300, per the data logger, with no ill effects.

As to how to change the retainers: simple put the piston to Top Dead Center for that cylinder and using the tool mentioned earlier push the valve down until it hits the piston and change the spring/retainer/whatever. If the valve to piston clearance is too great to do this (I've actually never done it except in a small block Chevy) then turn the crank to move the piston back down and then on its way up slide a length of rope down the spark plug hole to fill in the gap.

Frankly these motors are built so well I wouldn't worry as long as you can get proper valve clearance (but don't call me if it breaks).

All the best,

Jim
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Misfire codes..... if there are no streatched valves..... I'm guessing bad coils.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 AM
rlr

took my 2000 s2000 with 53,000 miles to honda dealer on wed for rough idle and check engine light on. this was my third trip for this problem. first time they changed spark plugs. second time they adjusted valves. third time they checked compression and found one and two with 130 while three and four had 185. took head off and thought the tensioner was bad. later realized it wasn't. sent head to local performance shop who disassembled and inspected. all valves are bent. many keepers cracked. retainers worn. all exhaust guides have too much slop. the shop owners first comment after showing me the damage was that these parts were not made for 9,000 rpm. he said it must have been over revved. forgive my ignorance but how does that happen when the rev limitor shuts it down as abruptly as it does? no i did not downshift into 2nd at 100.

the shop thinks we should rebuild with something other than oem parts. not sure what to do. my car is the first for which the dealer has ever removed the head. they sent to a shop with plenty of experience but not s2000 experience.

i see one other here with valve problems. have many had this problem? should i be more concerned about the oem parts or those involved in the repair? should the rev limitor protect me from this?

thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

I had similar problems. I have an S 2000 with about 43,000 miles on the tach -- A 2000 model, no extended warranty. It had been running/idling roughly and dying on occasion when the air conditioner was on. I had tried the usual remedies with no successs during the last 10,000 or so miles (including three longer trips of more than 2,000 miles each). Recently Russell Smith Honda of Houston had attempted to fix the problem by replacing the idle control system for about five hundred dollars. But the problem never really went away, and driving the car was no longer as pleasant as before.
Working with Honda on the phone, the mechanic finally discovered that the problem involved eight bent valves. Since there was no history or evidence of abuse, Honda decided to foot part of the bill for fixing the motor. The dealer even refunded the money I had paid for the idling unit that the car apparently didn't need. After about two or three weeks I finally got the car back last week. It has its old power back.
I appreciate the way American Honda stepped up and stood behind the engine. Apparently they don't do this in all cases, but I thought you might like to know about this one.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:33 AM
rlr

thanks for the reply. i contacted american honda friday afternoon. hope they are as helpful with my problem.

Quick Reply: anyone had stretched valves?