S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

anyone had stretched valves?

Old 10-14-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had stretched valves?

i sent a 2002 into the dealer to check on some misfire codes that popped up recently.

the service advisor says that the valves are STRETCHED, not bent. and that it was probably an over-rev situation. the car is not driven hard, nowhere as hard as my personal 05 is. i just cant see how this happens.

he is suggesting a complete head job (ALL valves,retainers, springs, keepers, the whole nine yards) and a $2200 estimate.

has anyone experienced this condition and is the fix reasonable?

thanks for your input,

kent
Old 10-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

They don't stretch without breaking or bending. The service writer needs to buy a clue. Most likely the retainers are cracked, or the valves did get bent from an overrev.

Have they removed the Cylinder head to inspect the valves? Done a leakdown or just inspected under the valve cover?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:24 PM

Kent, I just called your office, give me a call
Old 10-14-2005, 05:00 PM
VR4

my first thought would be cracked retainers.

they are likely trying to sell everything knowing full well its only the retainers. depending on the tech he may JUST change the retainers but you pay for everything. (happens in my shop on a daily basis)
Old 10-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Oct 14 2005, 02:20 PM
They don't stretch without breaking or bending. The service writer needs to buy a clue. Most likely the retainers are cracked, or the valves did get bent from an overrev.

Have they removed the Cylinder head to inspect the valves? Done a leakdown or just inspected under the valve cover?
all they said was that they pulled the valve cover and checked the clearances (at the rocker, i presume?).

do they have to pull the cams to evaluate the valve length.

one of his statements, "they're so stretched they're about to break"

i told him to put the car back together, i'll pay the diagnosis fee, and i'll pick up the car. he called back to say they won't put it back together and that it's UNSAFE to drive.

???
Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You can't measure the valve length with the valve installed in the head, It's impossible. It sounds like they have removed the valve cover, and looked at the retainers. In which case installing the valve cover is the only re-assembly required. The retainers may be cracked, or the valve stems bent. It's not going to be cheap to fix.

It's BS they won't put the car back together. It's only unsafe to drive if the engine blows up and you run into something. If a valve does break, it can destroy the rest of the engine. Pay whatever diag fee, and tow it to another shop. I don't doubt the valvetrain has a problem, but the service writer is full of sh*t, and trying to bully you into the repair.

Try your local forum for some shop reccomendations.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:09 PM

thanks for the help guys,

now he says they're gonna try to push it past the Honda tech-line as a warranty job.

kinda seems like now that i've refused to authorize the extravagant work, they want to do it as a warranty.

anyway, thanks for the help again. i'll just wait to see if they think they can do it as a warranty repair.

are broken retainers a warranty fix?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Techline cannot authorized warranty coverage. They are only there for tech support. Only the zone DPSM (district part and service manager) can authorize a goodwill repair. (out of 3yr/36k)

Old 10-14-2005, 07:42 PM

i must've been mistaken who he was going to ask about the warranty work. the car has about 16k miles and the three years comes up in a month.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:03 PM

any other opinion, guys? i could really use some 2nd opinions.

Quick Reply: anyone had stretched valves?