S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone Had Problems with Their Factory Clutch?

Old 10-22-2004, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Had Problems with Their Factory Clutch?

Hello, This is Peter with Import Auto Performance Orlando and I was wondering if anyone else had problems with their factory clutch soon after purchase? I purchased my 04 early August and immediately something didn't feel right. I decided to give it some time. Well the problem never got better. I don't dog my car but when it came time to drive it hard, the clutch would slip. I could never get a strong transition between gears.

I took it back to Honda and at first they told me this was the way it was supposed to drive and that the S2000 wasn't manufactured to be driven hard. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with their ridiculous reasoning. I brought the car back after the hurricanes (I'm In Fl) and they kept it for two days. The end result....... A NEW CLUTCH!!!!! The car now drives 10 times better then it did before (a bit of an exaggeration). They concluded that I had a weak pressure plate.

Well just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if so, DON' T LET HONDA PUSH YOU AROUND!!! GET THAT THING FIXED!!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, my MY04 clutch slips like crazy when shifting hard. I hate it. Interesting about the pressure plate - I've always put it down to the clutch delay valve Honda put in. Hmm.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:42 AM

Get it checked out man. I bet you are having the same problem I had. Now when I drive it hard, the back end sometime gets loose between 1st and 2nd.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:51 PM

I have an 01 and shortly after I bought it I thought the clutch was going out. I bought an ACT street clutch and pressure plate. I miked the disk after I pulled it and it was only about .004 out of spec (it wasn't bad) but it slipped when I revved it high on a holeshot, it smelled really bad from slipping. I took a chance and cut the flywheel and extra .002 on the pressure plate side. It was perfect after that. I'm not sure if it was the clutch or the new disk and pressure plate or the cut, but the engagement was and inch off the floor and no slip. I have switched to a Fidenza lightened flywheel since and luv it even more, it goes upstairs fast!

It's pretty easy to pull the transmission took me about 8 hours the first time and 6 the next.

Not sure on advice because I've changed so many parts.

Whoever told you the S2 was not made to be driven must drive a chevy caprice wagon or something really slow. I've had many muscle cars and the S2 is the best yet!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:56 PM

wow no clutch issues for me....but then again i don't do any launching, power shifting, and don't slip the clutch (well as much as possible)
Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM
R11

[QUOTE=Elistan,Oct 22 2004, 06:37 AM]Yeah, my MY04 clutch slips like crazy when shifting hard.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:24 PM

You won't believe it but the guy who told me the S is not made to be driven hard owns an S2K! I have left a message on his managers voicemail. Can't wait for him to call me back so I can let him know how misinformed one of his employees is.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 AM

I haven't noticed clutch slip. But, I do notice something else regarding the clutch that seems a little unsettling. While driving...I'll push the clutch in to change gears...suddenly the car will pull slightly to the right??? When I release the clutch, the car will jerk slightly back to the left and correct itself.

I constantly check my tire pressure and I have had the car alined...twice. The car seems to track straight and handle well. The phenomena only happens when I push in the clutch...

Anyone else notice this???
Old 11-09-2004, 06:20 AM

Can you give me the info for the Honda Dealer that worked on your car. So my dealer can call and find out what the problem is. My clutch slips bad when shifting at speed.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by peteriap,Oct 26 2004, 11:24 PM
You won't believe it but the guy who told me the S is not made to be driven hard owns an S2K! I have left a message on his managers voicemail. Can't wait for him to call me back so I can let him know how misinformed one of his employees is.
Was this done at Holler Honda?

My car is S/C and I am still running the stock clutch and have done several track events - I have never launched my car though, Not one clutch drop and I never will to be honest - It accelerates hard and only felt it slip on a couple of occasions in higher gears.

Quick Reply: Anyone Had Problems with Their Factory Clutch?