S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone experienced THIS WEIRD tranny sound?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Anyone experienced THIS WEIRD tranny sound?

And, if you can indulge me and tell me if you've ever experienced this sound, which is driving me crazy and hard to diagnose 'cause it doesn't happen at my mechainics:

It a vibrating, rotating noise. It's a slower rotation, so I don't think it's engine or clutch related, those parts rotate much faster. It increased with road speed.

It ONLY happens when I drive away first thing in the morning. Doesn't happen when I leave work at end of day. (In the last two days this has now changed, it has gotten much louder in the morning, and lasts about 10-12 shifts, about 1mile, and happened leaving work today after car sat for 10 hrs, but at a much lower volume)

It ONLY happens for the first 1/4 mile or 2-3 stop signs from the house (again, in last 2 days it got much louder and lasts 10-12 shifts, about 1 mile) , thenstops completely.

It happens from 0-10mph, then stops.(in the last tow days, it now occurs up to 20mph)

As I let the clutch out and accelerate to 10mph, a vibrating rotation noise occurs. I "might" feel it in the gas peddle. Don't feel it in the clutch. But it's defiantly noticeable in sound. Anybody could hear it. It starts as I let the clutch out, but also continues after clutch is fully engaged, but again, only to about 10-15mph.

It started about three weeks ago, about 5 days after I last went to the track.

The sound STOPS COMPLETELY after about 10-12 shifts or 1 mile. So, of course my mechanic never hears it.

The car must sit at least overnight (now 8 hrs) before it will occur again at startup.

We can induce a similar sound, but not exactly the same thing, by keeping the e-brake on, and letting the clutch out real slow, and at just the right moment, the sound/vibration occurs...but, it's not exactly the same sound, so I can't say its the same thing.

We found some play in the CV joints of my driveshaft, so that was replaced, but the noise is still there.

Clutch is a new Exedy as of about 16,000miles ago.