S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone ever try Royal Purple Max-Gear (75w90) Oil for their Diff??

Old 04-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever try Royal Purple Max-Gear (75w90) Oil for their Diff??

RP Max-Gear Oil Details

I couldn't find Mobil 1 anywhere so I decided to give this stuff a try. It's still a GL-5.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

13 views no replies yet

Anyone?......................anyone?.............. ......bueler?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's RoadRage when you need him?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 80's Boy
Where's RoadRage when you need him?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am here, but I have nothing good to say about RP so i won't.

I have had plenty to say about other products, so let me just say there are certainly well-known, well-proven, alternatives. I can think of 5 right off the top of my head that I would use before I considered a niche product.

I did confirm with Honda engineering that 80-w90 GL-5's are acceptable for cold climates, but neither did they disagree with me when we discussed LE-607.

Jasonoff: Read "The truth about 90w differential oil" and decide what you want to do yourself. That is my advice.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=185775 i assume is the thread

I drive my S2000 in the winter so the 90w would be a bad idea.

I know a bunch are using Mobil 1 75w90 and like it. However I noticed you gave Amsoil 75w90 a mention. I can get amsoil through a friend of mine but I'll have to wait a few days for it.

Maybe I should just return the Royal Purple 75w90 then and pick up the amsoil. Why is this RP stuff so bad?

I don't want to put shit lube in my diff. So if this stuff is shit it's not going in my car.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guttermouth!

I never said it was bovine excretia - I just do not think it is as good as other products out there, and I personally do not like the purple color gimmick, and the unhelpful answers i got when i called the factory. The UOA's of the engine oil have never shown anything near the claims the company made, especially as it relates to long life. The TBN's were in the crapper range long before RP's recommend change interval. This cam easily be verified by the many posts on topic in BITOG.

I would personally choose Amsoil 80w90. It meets Honda's vis range recommnendation for cold-weather use. None of the 75w90's can say that, although they will in all practical circumstances perform just as well, except at high temp extremes.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

Dammit... I was just at a place that had the amsoil 80w90 in stock.

So you would use this over the purple stuff

Because the 90 is the weight at operating temperature where as the first number is it's viscosity rating at lower temperatures. The lower the number the better it will pour at a colder temp correct?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had it in my car for over a year now.

On numerous tests I have seen Royal Purple and Amsoil outperform the competition.

I also put Royal Purple in the tranny. It has been very smooth except for very cold mornings, but that was a problem before the fluid change.

I saw no diff in the diff. ''

But then I didn't expect to. I heard no strange noises, I had no strange actions, I did it because I felt synthetics would give me a longer life.

I will change to Amsoil this next time just to see if there is a difference. I already have the fluid and the Amsoil is noticeably "lighter weight" in the bottle. Amsoil has 2 different models of diff fluid and the new one moves lighter in the bottle, if you know what I mean. I can see that would cause you to lose less HP, but will it protect as well and will there be strange noises? I think there is a good chance of that
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Banned

I did a bunch of reading on BITOG last night.

I have decided to give this RP a try. It's obviously much better than the dyno gear oil that's in there right now. I would like to give the Amsoil a try as well so I'll grab some in the next few days for my next change.

Maybe save the RP and get an analysis done when I switch to the Amsoil.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever try Royal Purple Max-Gear (75w90) Oil for their Diff??