S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone ever have this problem with their clutch pedal?

Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flushed mine couple of days ago. IT FEELS SO MUCH SMOOTHER.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM

I flushed mine couple of days ago. IT FEELS SO MUCH SMOOTHER.

I too had the same creaking feel to the pedal at times.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aRrakis
They are replacing the master cylinder.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:16 PM

I also lubed the fork
Old 01-31-2004, 04:53 PM

Nope. Master cylinder wasn't it. the same stickiness came back 20 minutes after I got the car back.
the dealership claims that they tried lubing the fork but I don't buy that.
I am due back next wednesday and they are going to have another look.

Song
Old 02-01-2004, 04:05 AM

Interesting thread. My clutch problem manifested itself at the same same time I experienced a problem with my engine. My clutch problem became evident suddenly upon decel. By that I mean that I was simply driving along the highway at about 45mph and let off the throttle and used the engine to slow down. As I continued to slow down for 3 seconds, I pushed in on the clutch pedal only to experience a stiff pedal. I continued to exert pressure upon the clutch pedal until it suddenly released. From this point, I pumped the clutch pedal until the normal feel returned. Very strange and unnerving. From what I've been able to ascertain, this problem is related to a lack of lubrication on the main shaft that the clutch release bearing slides on.

The release bearing slides upon a splined shaft. This shaft must have high temp grease as a lube on the splines.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Boit
Interesting thread. My clutch problem manifested itself at the same same time I experienced a problem with my engine. My clutch problem became evident suddenly upon decel. By that I mean that I was simply driving along the highway at about 45mph and let off the throttle and used the engine to slow down. As I continued to slow down for 3 seconds, I pushed in on the clutch pedal only to experience a stiff pedal. I continued to exert pressure upon the clutch pedal until it suddenly released. From this point, I pumped the clutch pedal until the normal feel returned. Very strange and unnerving. From what I've been able to ascertain, this problem is related to a lack of lubrication on the main shaft that the clutch release bearing slides on.

The release bearing slides upon a splined shaft. This shaft must have high temp grease as a lube on the splines.
Actually the release bearing slides on a smooth guide, not a splined shaft (the friction disk slides on a splined shaft). Both can get gummed up with friction material and need to be cleaned and lubricated when the transmission is out.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aRrakis
Nope. Master cylinder wasn't it.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Is it possible to ruin a master or slave cylinder by over extending it?
I've noticed that the rubbing starts at the very end of the travel and becomes worse.
Perhaps my clutch pedal is out of adjustment and I am pushing the guid over the limitations.
Reason I think this problem is hydraulic related is because when I flushed the clutch fluid, the rubbing was gone and I could feel the engagement point very crisply. But with in 10 minutes of test driving the rubbing started and the positive engagement point became vague and clutch became heavier.
I appreciate all your input. Thanks.

Song
Old 02-03-2004, 01:13 PM

Before I lubed the fork, the problem always took about 10 minutes of stop/go driving to manifest itself. Time, I assume, needed for the parts to warm up and expand. Before you flushed the fluid, was the stickiness present immediately after cold start, or did it take a few minutes to develop.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have this problem with their clutch pedal?