S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone ever have this problem with their clutch pedal?

Old 10-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have this problem with their clutch pedal?

I am having trouble with the travel in my clutch pedal. The travel of the pedal is smooth and normal until the pedal gets about 1 " from hitting the floor. It is at that point where it feels as though there is some sort of sticky friction. It seems to be getting worse the more I drive the car. And when I go to release the clutch it hesitates because of the "stickiness" friction in the last inch of travel. My guess is maybe something needs lubricated???

The best way I can explain this is, say you have tacky super glue all over the back of the clutch pedal. Well when you push it all the way down to the floor it will stick, but only for a moment cause obviously the spring will over power the holding strength of the glue, and the glue will finally give out. Giving a bit of hesitation. Well this is what it feels like, anyone else ever had this trouble or any ideas on what it might be and how I can fix it?

Thanx,
CRXican
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 PM

I have this problem also. Were you able to fix it?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:32 PM

I got 30K miles on mine
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 PM

You may have a problem with your throwout bearing. I'd have it looked at before it gets any worse.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez, didn't take long for a response to this one

On the topic I have a similar problem:

The pedal is stiff all the way to the floor at which point if I release it there is a "dead zone" for the lower 50% of travel. The clutch doesn't engage (disengage?) until 50% of the way up from the floor. Also there is little resistance to pedal pressure if you let out 50% and then push back in. It's sloppy on all but the first push of the pedal.

Release bearing? worn disk? pressure plate shot? any help appreciated as I'm going to have to fix this soon and I don't want to be going down the wrong road.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2004, 04:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hydraulic clutches are not very progressive so most of the action will be happening in a portion of the stroke. I think I would adjust the pedal first to see if that helps.

Unfortunately the part of the mechanism that probably needs cleaning and lubrication is in the bellhousing so it is best done on clutch replacement. It is a lot of work to lower the engine and pull the transmission to take care of this.

On mine there did not appear to be any lubrication on the release bearing guide.. in fact all the parts were covered with friction material and there was no trace of lube where there should have been.

Just make sure you have a conversation with the mechanic when you get a clutch job.. many don't take the care to clean and lube parts.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cdelena - very true.

isn't the yoke a part that is supposed to get that high temp urea grease? I'll bet half the Honda service techs never have seen it - I have a jar of it left over fromn when I specialized in NSX work.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:52 PM

Try to purge the system, maybe air on the line. (happen to me when I change my cluth.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:00 PM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

The fact that the pedal sticks ON THE WAY UP my be due to the clutch master cyl being packed with crap. Change/flush it out, mine was black at 10k miles.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I flushed the clutch completely about a month ago. It seemed to help for about a day. I ran honda dot3 through it to clean it out then super blue to make sure it was clear of air and completely fresh.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have this problem with their clutch pedal?