S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone else ever have Ricks 4.77 gears break?

Old 09-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed my 4.77s, and I believe that there is a break in cycle. The OEM ring and pinion definitely had a wear pattern on the teeth that the new gears did not have. The contact patches almost had a mirror finish to them. I'm certain that the smooth "broken in" surface would generate less heat than a new gear set.

I have over 10k miles on them now, and have spent 4 days on the track with them.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is it possible NOT to break? OSHP515, please tell me how these gears or any gears are magically immune to breaking. NOTHING on a moving vehicle is immune to breaking. You come off pretty harsh, maybe you need to tone it down a little or is it because you think the s2k is still superior to the z06 in every way hehe.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm still wait to here form rick on this problem. ???? I guess he's busy
Old 09-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Stratocaster
Old 09-27-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=1Fast99Si,Sep 25 2004, 06:00 PM] I was with my friend matt on wensday in his sebring 02 with the 4.77 gears from rick,
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oshp515,Sep 26 2004, 06:24 PM
believe what you want viper but I know there is no "wear in" of the rear end....ya through time a little metal may wear off where they meet but it is very marginal if they are installed correctly.....they do not have to "break in" before they can accept high loads....i mean think about it, you come off as a smart guy, what would have to break in before they could handle stress....assuming all is aligned properly and lubricated sufficiently there is nothing to break it...and if i remember correctly, you had a mechanic do your ring and pinion change out, so don't make replies that indicate I don't know what I am saying; I've been building engines and modifying cars for years at the family business...and I did my own ring and pinion change out....
I think there's a break-in period for diffs where all the parts wear in a little. Most gear installers with any experience agree there should be three heat cycles before beating the gears up and recommend changing the fluid at around 500-1000 miles. And if you don't think there's any wear in the first few thousand miles you're nuts. The fluid out of every diff I've owned - either new from the factory or rebuilt - is simply filthy for the first two or three changes (in under 3000 miles). Perhaps you could tell me what's floating in the gear oil ...
Old 09-27-2004, 02:42 PM

My friend works a lot so he doesn't have tiome to get on the computer so I've been posting for him. Stratocaster do you work for ricks?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:06 PM

I really would like for someone from ricks to get back to me! Cause my friend has NO CAR! I called friday and left a message, its now monday no responce, I pm'd RICK twice they were read but no responce.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too believe in thermal cycling of the gears, and the fact that these are HYPOID gears should tell all of you something - in a hypoid gear, the gear faces of the ring and pinion slide across each other - this happens with pressure in one direction on acceleration, and the other on deceleration. Metal is not at all smooth, even hardened gears like diffs. The high points have to be honed to ensure minimum shear down the road - and if you get it wrong in the first few hundred miles, you may very well have trouble down the road. The fact that some people get away with it by slamming the car new is a fascinating anecdote of great interest to everyone, but it does not change the science of what is going on with the gears and the lubricant.

Temperatures at the gear intersections can actually rise to the level where the metal will melt and re-deposit itself. This happens in a fraction of a second, but is one reason why a top lubricant should be used, with moly or Almasol's unique aluminum/magnesium/silicate additive.
\
Did the poster every indicate what lubricant he was using? - if so, I missed it.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Fast99Si,Sep 27 2004, 04:06 PM
I really would like for someone from ricks to get back to me! Cause my friend has NO CAR! I called friday and left a message, its now monday no responce, I pm'd RICK twice they were read but no responce.
Have you sent an email to Ricks? They are typically very fast responding to email. Less so with voice mail and private messages.

From what I've read, it seems like this is more of an issue with the install and lack of breakin.

Quick Reply: Anyone else ever have Ricks 4.77 gears break?