S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone else burning mobil 1 synethetic oil?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

i've used mobil 1 for 40,000 miles with only the slightest amount of burning. I won't switch because its what the previous owner used as well. I'm at 68,000 with no issues.

But, i rarley hit vtec
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Suzuka Joe, love the clip in your sig. from The Gods Must Be Crazy

I just switched off M1 on my last oil change. I went with castrol gtx nonsynth just to get the M1 out and I am deciding what to go with more permanently.

I have an AP1 with 150k, it burns oil pretty bad and I have been dealing with the timing chain tensioner issue as well. Yes, I know my miles are confouding the issue here but just changing in the castrol has produced a much healthier engine sound and drive. If I can budget redline oil I will.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black2000,Aug 14 2009, 09:03 PM
^^ Suzuka Joe, love the clip in your sig. from The Gods Must Be Crazy

I just switched off M1 on my last oil change. I went with castrol gtx nonsynth just to get the M1 out and I am deciding what to go with more permanently.

I have an AP1 with 150k, it burns oil pretty bad and I have been dealing with the timing chain tensioner issue as well. Yes, I know my miles are confouding the issue here but just changing in the castrol has produced a much healthier engine sound and drive. If I can budget redline oil I will.
for older engine like your(and mine) go try vavloline maxlife syn, i like it much more than gtx
Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 AM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomspeed05,Aug 9 2009, 12:22 PM
switch to regular oil synthetic oil sucks for our cars because they rev high and the viscosity is thicker on regular conventional oil instead of synthetic...i had this problem and i switch and so far the problem has gone away
???
Synthetic is thinner and flows better than regular oil of the same viscosity rating. It does act thicker than conventional oil under higher temps and pressure, when you WANT it to.
The idea that synthetic is "thicker" and not suitable for high revs is absurd.

On Mobil1:
FWIW, I've run Mobil 1 10W30 for the 2 1/2 years I've owned the car (40k miles, 16 track days). No problems.
The subject of motor oils, which is better and which ones suck, often leads to drastic overstatements in both directions. Are there "better" oils than Mobil1? I'm sure there are. But IMO you're not going to go too far wrong with any reputable brand 10W30.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtB,Aug 7 2009, 11:39 AM
Crank vents block off the pcv system. They also trash the crank seal on the timing chain cover.
Sarge,
I'm running Krankvents, what should I look for regrading the crank seal?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FTR - I'm running an AP1 '02 with rougly 63k miles. I changed my oil last week, on tuesday (9/1), with Mobil 1 full syn 10W30 and honda filter. Check 2 times during the week and it was at the 'H' mark.

Sunday afternoon(9/6) went on a semi-aggressive mountain drive (approx 30 minutes), hitting VTEC for a small portion of the drive. Checked my oil Sunday night, and it was 1 "x" above the 'L' mark on the dipstick. IMO burning that much oil in less than 1 week, and with only 1 day of semi-aggressive driving is absurd.

After reading this thread, may have to get myself an oil catch to lower the amount of oil im burning/ losing.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_51009,Sep 9 2009, 05:58 PM
FTR - I'm running an AP1 '02 with rougly 63k miles. I changed my oil last week, on tuesday (9/1), with Mobil 1 full syn 10W30 and honda filter. Check 2 times during the week and it was at the 'H' mark.

Sunday afternoon(9/6) went on a semi-aggressive mountain drive (approx 30 minutes), hitting VTEC for a small portion of the drive. Checked my oil Sunday night, and it was 1 "x" above the 'L' mark on the dipstick. IMO burning that much oil in less than 1 week, and with only 1 day of semi-aggressive driving is absurd.

After reading this thread, may have to get myself an oil catch to lower the amount of oil im burning/ losing.
Make sure your comparisons of the oil level is taken at the same time. Take it cold in the morning before you drive and then cold again the next morning, for example. This will allow for a better comparison.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 9K-S2K,Sep 9 2009, 06:45 PM
Make sure your comparisons of the oil level is taken at the same time. Take it cold in the morning before you drive and then cold again the next morning, for example. This will allow for a better comparison.
I took this into account when checking my oil the night of the drive, and figured it could have been low b/c I had been parked on an incline for a few hours, and had just pulled the car into the garage before checking.

B/c of this, I decided I'd check again the next morning, when I knew for sure it would be cool enough, and didn't get much better results....instead of being on the 1st 'x' it was at the 2nd 'x' but thats still pretty low for 1 week.

A friend recommended Amsoil...I'll probably move to that at my next oil change.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM

so besides amsoil, is valvoline synthetic pretty good? I'm looking for something i can buy at a parts place. and whats the deal with royal purple? does it suck like i've always heard??
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Aug 15 2009, 03:06 AM
???
Synthetic is thinner and flows better than regular oil of the same viscosity rating. It does act thicker than conventional oil under higher temps and pressure, when you WANT it to.
The idea that synthetic is "thicker" and not suitable for high revs is absurd.

On Mobil1:
FWIW, I've run Mobil 1 10W30 for the 2 1/2 years I've owned the car (40k miles, 16 track days). No problems.
The subject of motor oils, which is better and which ones suck, often leads to drastic overstatements in both directions. Are there "better" oils than Mobil1? I'm sure there are. But IMO you're not going to go too far wrong with any reputable brand 10W30.
did you not read all the reports of mobil 1 burning so much faster than any other good brand? you can add me to that list too.

switched to mobil 1 from amsoil cause i was in a hurry to change my oil...should have waited for an amsoil delievery. burned a lot of oil. didn't think it was that big of a deal...looked at my defi oil pressure gause noticed it was kind of oil...popped the hood and i had burned a lot of oil.

amsoil never did that...which is way i made the switch back( which i would have anyways). changing it out next week...my car's gonna be so happy.

just put mobil 1 extended performance in my gf's ap1 also...gonna keep an eye on that. but i've heard it's only a slight step down in performance from amsoil...still light years ahead of most other brands.

trust me( us )....there are much better oils to run in an ap1 than reg. m1 synthetic.

Quick Reply: Anyone else burning mobil 1 synethetic oil?