S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

anyone with a comptech sc blow the motor?

Old 04-09-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wesmaster also blew his with a Comptech (no a/c) and a VAFC.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Supratentorial? I confess I had to look that one up. That's a pretty big word!

For those that don't know this goes back to a dispute between h9k and myself about the suitability of the V-AFC for tuning a supercharged S2000. I said that it's no good because of secondary effects of the MAP signal and he said that it was because his mates told him so.

Then his engine blew.

Whether or not this was a result of excessive heat in the combustion chamber due to lean conditions (not necessarily detonation, just lean conditions) is not definitive, but it's not unlikely. Regardless, it was fairly interesting after his vehement support of the VAFC.

I've been giving him stick ever since.
You do realise the '?' at the end makes it a question not a statement.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
A couple of internet and keyboard warriors have disputed some of the above statement
Old 04-09-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Fyrestrike
Wesmaster also blew his with a Comptech (no a/c) and a VAFC.
wow, did he do that too?
I thought he only got problems when he changed to an exhaust driven turbine.

are you sure it's the VAFC and not emanage?
the impression I got from a member is that tuning the comptech system with VAFC is almost impossible
Old 04-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Wesmasters SC'd blow up was blamed on a questionable tune I believe. Since he has gone from the board, It's hard to verify that with him. I think he had AEM ems for a while then switched to the E-Manage. You would have to dig through all of the old threads to get more specifics.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:42 PM

Wes wrote his saga some time last year but that was for the problems after he trade his sc for a tc with someone else. If I recall correctly, I think the tuning was done with an emanage. I think there was some oil problem on top as well and not just the tuning. He ended up with a rebuild engine from Mike Simmon. I think his tuner/mechanic covers 1/2 the cost.

If we all look for it, I am sure we can find it.
It was certainly a very interesting and sad experience.

Now he may had a problem with the SC too but not that I am aware of. I am sure you guys would know better than me since I am on the other side of the globe
Old 04-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Wes blew up 1 motor before the turbo swap, when the car had a SC. I don't know what It was tuned with.

His speedcraft turbo was originally cjb80's, and tuned with an E-Manage.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Slows2k
Wes blew up 1 motor before the turbo swap, when the car had a SC. I don't know what It was tuned with.

His speedcraft turbo was originally cjb80's, and tuned with an E-Manage.
poor guy
no wonder why he had to sell his s2k
Old 04-09-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by honda9krpm
you are still only less than 50% correct with your summary
I don't think you every will grasp the discussion
complete waste of time
Umm, you appear to be quoting yourself.

Are you suggesting that you are only 50% correct and that you won't ever grasp your own discussion?

If so, I am for once in complete agreement with you.

(Edited: I am so nasty today I hope I don't get hit by a golf ball at golf this afternoon )
Dang, I missed it. Perhaps you could PM it so I could get a laugh too? That is, when you're finished playing with your balls.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so bigger injectors help?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Generally the stock Comptech kits are fine (I'm pretty sure Hecash's workshop is on a Native American Burial Ground so I have to exclude his experience ). Early adoptors had their share of problems but I think all the kinks have been ironed out.

There have been some reports of Vortech systems running a bit lean and that certainly is a worry especially as they have the additional electronics to control timing.

But with either system the tuning is a bit redneck. Above ambient pressure the boost is hidden from the ECU (As it doesn't have maps for it) and extra fuel is added by using boost pressure to up fuel pressure. Both systems use a high pressure fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator that is boost dependent. The Comptech uses a full fuel pressure regulator whereas the Vortech uses a similar device down stream of the stock FPR. So even though the stock FPR is releasing pressure the Vortech FMU is stopping it downstream so pressure increases.

Both systems are theoretically set to provide a rich/safe condition above ambient pressure.

Some people have used devices like the VAFC to further control air/fuel ratio. I advise against using it due to the method it uses. It's only method of controlling fuel is by modifying the MAP signal before it reaches the ECU and this has secondary effects on timing. Also, keep in mind that under boost the MAP signal is already up towards the highest signal the ECU can handle, so you can't use it to add fuel at this point. You could use it to pull fuel for more power, but then the Vortech system isn't known for adding too much fuel so all you're going to get is leaner conditions. You can draw your own conclusions as to what could happen (detonation or not). Don't want to cook the spark plugs.

If you want real control of fuel I would recommend a minimum of the E-manage. With nothing more than the basic unit and injector harness you can add extra fuel by directly driving the injectors based on a 16x16 pressure/rpm map. With the igntion harness you can also control timing.

If you intend to upgrade the boost beyond the SC kits stock set up then you definitely need at least the E-manage and larger injectors.

Of course it is preferable to use the standalone AEM ECU. There's a lot more to using the AEM but I expect the results and peace of mind would be worth it.

At present I run the Comptech SC without aftercooler, 4" pulley giving me 8lbs at peak, 440cc injectors, SARD FPR (instead of Comptech or OEM) and E-manage with injector and ignition harness.

Quick Reply: anyone with a comptech sc blow the motor?