S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anybody w/ Vortech and VAFC that may have encountered this?

Old 07-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the harness has wires branching off to go to the ECU and wires branching off to go to the sensors. Total of 8 wires. I know for a fact that the VAFC is connected according to the color coded wires on the harness. Now if the black box must be tapped into the MAP signal on the harness after the VAFC then I dont know about it. I would have to look at the wires because the VAFC has wires that you have to connect going to the ECU and going to the sensors such as the pressor sensor. The yellow wire from VAFC goes to the ECU side and the white wire goes to the pressor sensor. If I am at 23% throttle and almost redline the car is fine. I think I see some + pressure but not for sure i have to look and drive at the same time

honda9krpm perhaps you have a contact # in case we need to communicate, if u want u can pm me it.

thanks all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
[B]
Sorry I did not see this earlier.
You have to go with this order
MAP>>BLACKBOX>>VAFC>>ECU

The harness has got wires branching off to go to the VAFC and wires returning to the ECU.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Member (Premium)

oh I will try to diagram that mess of wires so you all can see what i have and help others
Old 07-29-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HardTuTame,

The reason why I say it might be your ECU wires is beacsue I experienced the same thing as you because my Vortech black box wasn't wired correctly and when the cars ECU would see positive boost at higher throttle levels it would totally bog down, but when I would do light throttle I could take it to redline with no problem. There could be the possibility that one of the black box wires got disconnected while installing the VAFC harness? You may have a different problem but from the way your describing it, mine was similar and was caused by the black box.

P.S. I'm refering to the wires of the black box that comes with the supercharger, not the VAFC wires.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Actually right now I just confirmed that this is happening exactly when the VAFC reads positive pressure. Now I just gotta figure out what the hell to do...

Originally posted by VTEC Racer
HardTuTame,

The reason why I say it might be your ECU wires is beacsue I experienced the same thing as you because my Vortech black box wasn't wired correctly and when the cars ECU would see positive boost at higher throttle levels it would totally bog down, but when I would do light throttle I could take it to redline with no problem. There could be the possibility that one of the black box wires got disconnected while installing the VAFC harness? You may have a different problem but from the way your describing it, mine was similar and was caused by the black box.

P.S. I'm refering to the wires of the black box that comes with the supercharger, not the VAFC wires.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K
[B]honda9krpm: So you are saying that the VAFC should not show any positive boost at all???

My hookup for my Vortech SC and VAFC is as you stated above...
Old 07-29-2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by HardtuTame
I think I see some + pressure but not for sure i have to look and drive at the same time

honda9krpm perhaps you have a contact # in case we need to communicate, if u want u can pm me it.
Dont drive and look at the VAFC hardtutame!!!!
Just do your normal run and hit the ???down arrow. This will give you a peak readings of the monitor parameters (just make sure you include pressure) . So do 2 runs, patial and full throttle, and let us know what happen.

Thank you for the offer but I am in Australia. I will pm you for the info.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Member (Premium)

I decided to double check the wiring and run the car without the VAFC, unfortunately I could not test it. I found that 2 wires from the wiring harness were loose but still intact. so by the time I finished moving the wiring harness around the wires came off the harness. Now I need to go see if I can find those tiny connectos somehwere so i can resplice those wires into them. not a happy camper. the 2 loose connections were the map sensor wire and the VTM signal wire i believe. Was this the real issue? I dont know i hope so.

I called some shop around here and of course they didnt tell me much but that I probably need a " missing link"? so I told them thats what supposedly the black box is for. But he insisted...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
[B]

Dont drive and look at the VAFC hardtutame!!!!
Just do your normal run and hit the ???down arrow. This will give you a peak readings of the monitor parameters (just make sure you include pressure) .
Old 07-30-2003, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HardtuTame
[B]Actually right now I just confirmed that this is happening exactly when the VAFC reads positive pressure.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Well i really hope thats the problem, i mean the wires were still there but apparently not very tight. Now im on a hunt for those wire connectors. I got the harness from www.vtecfrog.com and my impression so far is that it sucks!! If 2 wires came off already, then I will expect more to come off as I move the stupid harness around. Very weakly built.

Originally posted by VTEC Racer

Exactly. Since my Vortech black box wasn't installed correctly, when the cars ECU would sense positive manifold pressure, it would just totally bog down the car. Hence why your car bogs right when the VAFC indicates positive pressure. If the Vortech Black box isnt wired correctly or a wire is loss, it's obviously not capable of doing it's job of fooling the cars ECU into thinking that it has no positive manifold pressure. Thats why everytime you hit boost, the car bogs. The ECU is seeing positve manifold pressure.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:01 AM
S2K

Originally posted by honda9krpm

This is very interesting observation too.
I did a lot of research on the Vortech + boost gauge and everyone replied back reported that they do not see boost at the VAFC.

S2k
I assumed that your car is running perfectly.
Are you able to tune the fuel using the VAFC?
How much peak boost does you VAFC register?
Do you have a VAFC harness?
Could you kindly detail/pics your wiring diagram?

Thank you so much in advance.
From just the feel of driving the car, it seems to be driving fine. I check my plugs and they all seem normal.

Weird that you should ask about tuning the fuel using the VAFC. I can increase fuel on the VAFC to 10% across the RPM range it doesn't make any difference on my air/fuel ratio Are you able to tune your fuel? Maybe mine is faulty...

I'm not sure how much boost my VAFC is registering, I'll have to check that later and have my brother video tape it while I run the car up to max boost.

Yes, I'm using a plug-n-play VAFC harness.

I'm at work so I don't have all the wiring diagrams. I did the install of the Vortech SC, so I basically followed their instructions on how to wire up the black box. I then plugged that into the VAFC harness and wired up the VAFC to the harness. After that, I just plugged the harness into the ECU. I haven't had any CEL go off relating to the wiring.

Quick Reply: Anybody w/ Vortech and VAFC that may have encountered this?