S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anybody w/ Vortech and VAFC that may have encountered this?

Old 07-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody w/ Vortech and VAFC that may have encountered this?

I just installed my vortech and vafc w/ the wiring harness.

the issue is that when im 23% into the throttle the car just wants to go fine. But if I step on it further, the car will hold back and if i let up on the gas the car will start picking up again. I have an air/fuel digital gauge and while im smashing the throttle is pinned at .9 volts (very rich). I did pull the plugs though and thney look to be of that whitish-grayish color which to me look ok.

Has anybody encountered this before without any tuning done?
Old 07-28-2003, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should make sure the black box wiring has been done correctly. Make sure no wires got loose while installing the VAFC.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately this can be an issue with a piggyback like the V-AFC, with certain tuning settings. Is the non-WOT setting set to all zeros, and what is your WOT percentage set at?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:01 PM

HardtuTame, I am going to start installing my kit this weekend.
How long did you take to install?
Could you please show me which wires in tharness did you tapped? I will let you know if I get any problem.

TIA
Old 07-29-2003, 01:15 AM

I have been thinking about this dilema HardtuTame
You scare me here buddy

Do you get the CEL?
So you can 23% into the throttle until redline without any problem?
When you floor it do you see boost or positive pressure registered on the VAFC?
I think the ideal setup for this is
MAP>>BLACKBOX>>VAFC>>ECU

I understand that you tapped the harness but make sure the signal flow this way. You should not see boost at the VAFC.

Your problem is interesting though because ??? you do not get the CEL. If this is the case then it might just be the setting on the VAFC.

Good luck.
Let me know how you fix it please
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]Unfortunately this can be an issue with a piggyback like the V-AFC, with certain tuning settings.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:56 AM

Ah ha....woohooo...I think most of my and Jeremy questions are almost answered

The VAFC MUST NOT SEE BOOST AT ALL. I have checked this with many SC s2k owners before and they all have confirmed this. Your wiring connection is very slightly incorrect.

I am surprised that you don't get a CEL light though....hmmm interesting.

****Now this is my scpeculation HardtoTame......I am not too good with anything j/k***
The dilema you have is that the ECU sees boost and behaves funny ...our car's ECU hate boost.
The black box do many things but one of the main thing is masking the boost signal from the MAP sensor from the ECU. The VAFC does not correct boost signal well with positive pressure and will pass this to the ECU. Hence your problem.

The black box must be placed in front of the VAFC "branch off" wires on the harness ie the signal the VAFC has no boost in it.

Check your wiring connection. If you are 100% that the sequence is MAP>>BLACKBOX>>VAFC>>ECU, then check it again

I hope this help.

Now could you do me a big favour?
Could you please let me know which wire on the harness you tapped? I have not look at the elctronic issue too much thus far. I hope to smooth sail my installation this coming week.

One more question:
When you are at 23% throttle, do you let your car redline? Do you see boost on the VAFC then? Does the car behave funny?

If you answer yes to all the question, I would put my money on the fact that you have tapped the black box wire into the MAP signal on the harness after the VAFC....I hope you know what I meant.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by HardtuTame

Now the ideal setup that you listed, I mean I guess hooking everything up to the harness will not do the job??.
Sorry I did not see this earlier.
You have to go with this order
MAP>>BLACKBOX>>VAFC>>ECU

The harness has got wires branching off to go to the VAFC and wires returning to the ECU. I guess ( as I have not started doing this yet...all of you guys in the GB got the kit earlier than me eventhough I organised the GB ..I am jealous and can't wait for my kit to get here this weekend hehehe) that you should connect the black box to the harness on the wires going to the VAFC. For the other wires in the harness that do no go to the VAFC, you just tap it any where.

I hope this help.
Good luck
Old 07-29-2003, 09:15 AM

I wish someone knew for sure and could post a diagram of some kind.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:56 AM
S2K

honda9krpm: So you are saying that the VAFC should not show any positive boost at all???

My hookup for my Vortech SC and VAFC is as you stated above... MAP > BLACK BOX > VAFC > ECU ...and if I recall correctly, I see positive boost register on the VAFC.

However, my car does not have the problem discribed here.

Quick Reply: Anybody w/ Vortech and VAFC that may have encountered this?