S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anybody have the Mugen intake??

Old 01-21-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have the Mugen intake??

I'm just trying to compare the Mugen intake to the AEM CAI. I'm sure they were designed with different end results in mind, but what is the real difference between the two? I currently have the AEM and was wondering who has experience with the Mugen??? I'm trying to justify spending $1,500 on the Mugen and having a hard time. I also hear J's is coming out with a very nice intake that is supposed to mimick the Mugen one for around $900?????
Old 01-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If price is a factor there is no way you can justify the Mugen Intake plain and simple.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Although I'm a Mugen whore, as far as intakes go, I don't think you can beat the AEM.

I'd love to have the Mugen, but just cannot justify the price....if you have that kind of money to spend, I'd be putting it on the Mugen ECU and/or the Mugen header before anything else.

Even the $900 on the J's version is just ridiculous....I'd figure that you can have a professional fabricate something that mimics the J's and/or the Mugen intake out of hand laid fiberglass for less than half of the J's price.

Again for that kind of money, the ECU and/or header are a far better "investment" for power than the intake alone.

The only thing I don't like of the AEM is the where the filter location is. I'd rather have a "nozzle" that fits over the radiator bar (like the Spoon duct, the Mugen nozzle, or the J's nozzle) and has an K&N cone filter at the end of it in the open (in front of the radiator). Yes it leaves the filter open to the elements.

My thoughts.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:11 AM

Luder, sorry I forgot to mention this, but I just installed the Mugen H/E. I don't really want to go ECU because my S is a daily driver and I can't come by high octane fuel on a regular basis.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luder94
[B]Although I'm a Mugen whore, as far as intakes go, I don't think you can beat the AEM.

I'd love to have the Mugen, but just cannot justify the price....if you have that kind of money to spend, I'd be putting it on the Mugen ECU and/or the Mugen header before anything else.

Even the $900 on the J's version is just ridiculous....I'd figure that you can have a professional fabricate something that mimics the J's and/or the Mugen intake out of hand laid fiberglass for less than half of the J's price.

Again for that kind of money, the ECU and/or header are a far better "investment" for power than the intake alone.

The only thing I don't like of the AEM is the where the filter location is.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:01 AM

I was using the Mugen ECU for about 1 month....I'm not sure how it is in Cali, but I was able to find 92 octane everywhere I went....although I only choose BP/Amoco products for the S2K.

What octane do you normally fill with?

In any case, if the gas is the issue and you're still willing to part with $1000+, then AEM intake and VAFC is probably a better alternative.

Again, I LOVE Mugen products, for the most part, and their intake is top notch!!! However, spending anything above $300 for an intake is just absurd. I also come from a mentality that was instilled in me from working on a CRX back in '89 when aftermarket parts were rare (or rarely available) and my income was less than $20k/year. We used to make due with PVC piping and then got smart and let muffler shops start bending us piping.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:15 AM

Luder, I usually fill with 91 octane. I have never seen anything higher at the pumps I go to.

I'm thinking of the VAFC, but would still like to stay away from that if at all possible. I'm just really happy with the mugen header/exhaust and wonder if the intake will top off my system. I've heard a rumor that certain products (Mugen) are made to perform better with other Mugen products instead of mix and matching.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:54 AM

Yes, Mugen products are made to perform with each other...but I doubt that the Mugen intake imparts any different characteristics onto the air that is being ingested into the engine.

That being said, I'd assume that the AEM allows as much air to pass into the intake manifold as the Mugen intake, if not more.

You may want to check with Ultimate Lurker to see if he's got any dyno runs of Mugen intake equipped cars vs. AEM intake equipped cars that he can compare and contrast.

Even if the Mugen intake frees up 1-2 more horses and/or 1-2 more ft. lbs. of torque throughout the midrange as contrasted to the AEM intake (with all the other Mugen goodies), I'd probably still shy away from fronting $1500 for a daily driver (or a even a racer for that matter). If I had money to burn then I may be all over it, but even then, I'd just pick up another S2000, gut it, and do a full race treatment to it.

You may rather want to try an OEM '02/'03 ECU if your car is an '00/'01. Experiment with different engine oils, transmission oils, diff oils to free up some power. Try using larger cooling fans....take out the AC....shave some weight from the car. There are plenty of little ways to free up little gains here and there.