S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any way to get these Brakes to stop squeaking?

Old 08-05-2004, 05:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm with JWKim. If you put a dampening lubricant behind the pad, it should minimize your squealing.

You can pick up a packet of Sil-Glyde at Auto-Zone or better yet, buy a whole tube of if from Napa. Goop it on the back side of your pads, and that will absorb the sound.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try chamfering the leading edges of the pads at approx 60 degrees. Also, if the pad doesnt have one already, put a dust groove in the pad. Put a 1/8" slot radially across the pad approx 2/3 depth. I find 2-3 close hacksaw cuts works fine. The dust slot gets dust out from underneith the pad. If you look at your pads you may see dust compacted in the centre of the pad. When you brake the pads rock back/forth over this compacted dust section. This is the same reason why they groove rotors is to get the dust out from under the pad and to break up the fire zone under heaving braking.

Good luck.

PS. I generally remove all the anti squeel shims and use an adhesive behind the pads. They sell the stuff in automotive parts stores and is glues the pads to the pistons/callipers. Not too hard to remove later fortunately.

Speedracer.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:47 PM
J.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are GT sports. I put some anti-squeal lube un the backs of the pads when i first installed them (some blue stuff in little packets from pepboys)

Didn't use the stock shims, maybe I'll give it a shot. Also, stupid question, I am supposed to leave the retaining clips in the calipers right?

What makes 'em squeak so much? I don't mind some sqeaking, but someytimes I'll come to a stop and they'll just squeal like a pig, so I'll let off the brake a little bit and they'll start moaning like a couple of dying mooses.

Anyone else think I should angle the edges and make a slot in the middle of the pads?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The squeaking is actually high frequency vibration of the pads which is why it usually only happens when exerting light pressure on the pedal. Clamp down very hard, and there's no noise. That's also why those brake adhesives work; they prevent the pads from vibrating by filling in the space between the pad and caliper as well as hold the pads more firmly in place.

Yes, the copper retaining clips are to remain in the caliper.

I've had great luck with the CRC orange brake adhesive, comes in a squeeze bottle, don't get any on you. Apply it to the back of the pad, then place the shim on the pad, then apply adhesive to the back of the shim. The shims help more evenly distribute the pressure of the caliper on the pad and help keep things quiet. I've noticed my stock pads make some noise without the shims in place.

I don't recommend chamfering the pads nor do I recommend cutting slots that weren't already there. If you do so, you've altered the pads in a way not intended by their manufacturer.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Aug 6 2004, 08:57 AM
I don't recommend chamfering the pads nor do I recommend cutting slots that weren't already there. If you do so, you've altered the pads in a way not intended by their manufacturer.
i would concur with the view of not altering the pads. they should work the way the manufacturer intended.

secondly, the slots in grooved brake discs are not there to remove dust, but to deglaze the pad when they are used in extreme hard use eg track. in normal use the just munch the pad and gine no improvement in braking.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:35 AM
J.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHere do you find this CRC orange brake adhesive?