S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any reviews/observations on the 4.57 gears yet?

Old 03-25-2004, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dre107
Old 03-26-2004, 01:48 PM

Ok I got my installed yesterday. Let me tell you about my first impression - loud! I mean you hear the gears. If I coast to a stop, all I hear is a wwhhiiirrring sound. While I'm running at speed, the same whirring sound. It goes away when I accelerate but at no other time. I'm hoping that it diminishes as they break in. Anyone else experience this? I've got 100 miles of break in on them. I'm running Mobile 75-90 in them. The installer said , " oh yea, those Richmond gears are that way, loud suckers." Talk to me guys, how do your gears sound?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by warpspeed
Ok I got my installed yesterday. Let me tell you about my first impression -
Old 03-26-2004, 02:52 PM

It shouldn't sound any different from when you had stock gears in the car. If you can't get rid of the whirring after several hundred miles, dump the fluid and check the drain plug for metal.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I just read the Richmond instructions and they specifically state to install 75-140 synthetic lube (#8). Is anyone doing this? I would think it would make the gears run quieter. Am I missing something here with all the posts of members running 75-90?

http://www.richmondgear.com/01instructions.html
Old 03-26-2004, 03:52 PM

Xviper/Gernby, so you both have these gears? And neither of you have noticed them to be louder than stock? I'll check the companion nut tomorrow. I'm just concerned about putting on miles if I might be damaging them at all. I mean I could go the whole break-in period, change out the fluid and still experience the noise. Man, this sucks....
Old 03-26-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by warpspeed
Xviper/Gernby, so you both have these gears?
Actually, as not to mislead you, I have the J's 4.44's and I believe gernby has the 4.77's. It shouldn't matter, however, as any gear installation should be no different in sound as what you would have heard for stock gears. Certainly not that heavy whirring noise you described.

As for damaging them, you can minimize the risk by driving it easy for a few hundred miles (I know, that'll be tough but try). Then check the fluid and plug. Don't bag on it till you are sure that the install is good.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Warpspeed,

My 4.57's are noisier than stock. The shop that put them in the diff told me they might be. He said they worked on the diff for a couple of hours to try to make them as quiet as possible but that there was a 50/50 chance they would make some noise. My response was I don't care if it makes noise as long as it doesn't blow up and he assured me they would work fine but just might make noise. They've got about 600 miles on them now and still work fine. I haven't drained the fluid yet but will be within the next week or so to see if everything looks good.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me tell you about my first impression - loud! I mean you hear the gears. If I coast to a stop, all I hear is a wwhhiiirrring sound. While I'm running at speed, the same whirring sound. It goes away when I accelerate but at no other time. I'm hoping that it diminishes as they break in. Anyone else experience this? I've got 100 miles of break in on them. I'm running Mobile 75-90 in them. The installer said , " oh yea, those Richmond gears are that way, loud suckers." Talk to me guys, how do your gears sound?
My Richmond 4.57 gear sounds like stock until you accelerate at speeds faster than 60mph (usually 4th gear since I'm still breaking the gear in). Even then, it's just an audible low-pitched hum. The hum only comes about when accelerating. The hum disappears when the gas pedal is released regardless of vehicle speed. No whirring sound.

I run Redline 90 gear oil.

The Richmond instructions on recommended gear oil are for American cars. I think 75-90 should be ok.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by warpspeed
Ok I got my installed yesterday. Let me tell you about my first impression -

Quick Reply: Any reviews/observations on the 4.57 gears yet?