S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any reviews/observations on the 4.57 gears yet?

Old 03-24-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback so far from everyone who's posted. Much appreciated.

CBLude -- there are a couple of gear calculators around here if you do a search. You can then plug in your final drive numbers and get top speed in each gear.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:57 PM

Hey guys, I'm getting mine installed tomorrow. In what ways are you doing your break-in? Speed? RPMs? Mileage? Please let me know so I can do the right thing and enjoy them as you do! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by warpspeed
Hey guys, I'm getting mine installed tomorrow. In what ways are you doing your break-in? Speed? RPMs? Mileage? Please let me know so I can do the right thing and enjoy them as you do! Thanks!
Proper break-in procedure was included with the gears if they were purchased from Rick's. The main thing is that you don't want them to get too hot too quickly. From what I remember the recommendation from Richmond was to drive the car for 15-30 minutes, then let it sit for that long to cool down. Repeat the process a couple of times. Also, I'd get at least 300-400 miles on them before pushing them. Also, here is a link Prolene posted a while back about break-in for new gears:

http://www.ring-pinion.com/tech/techind.html
Old 03-24-2004, 02:00 PM

I am interested to see if anyone has tried the 4.57's in conjunction with 275/40-17 rear tires. The effect of the gears should be mitigated by the taller tires, but overall gearing should still be shorter than stock. Is there a way to calculate the final drive ratio with taller tires?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=193733

Take a look here to see the shift points and speed of the 4.77.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:13 PM

thanks for starting the thread. i was somewhat hesitant installing these and actually thought about selling them because no one was really posting their impressions and knew these have been out awhile.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 PM

I keep saying that gears are best bang for the buck mod. I love the 4.77 and I agree with Strike, you blow past cars with the stock gears. Hyper, don't hesitate! pull the trigger and install those bad mofos!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 AM

MedicalStudent and Strike are 'dead on' in their descriptions. I had Jeff and Joe send me a complete diff with the new gears just because I was a little hesitant and wanted to be able to swap back to the stock setup if I was not happy (this being my first substantial mod). After 500+ miles (plus the 400+ test miles Jeff and Joe put on it), I can't imagine going back to the stock setup.

The car feels much quicker below VTEC and the transition into VTEC is smoother. I don't want to overstate the difference as being night and day, but it is certainly noticable when accelerating through all gears and especially within the same gear (5th has never felt so nice).

I'll be swapping out the diff fluid with the recommended LE607 gear oil this weekend, which should reduce the subtle humming/whirring sound between 4-5K RPMS. Thanks goes out to James at Rick's for taking the time to share his impressions and knowledge about the gears and keeping me informed about his results with the LE607 product.

I'll also take this opportunity to say 'hats off' to Jeff and Joe at Ganley - their service, patience, willingness to answer questions, and just overall commitment to make sure their customers are more than just satisfied is second to none.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

My car was the first with the 4.57s installed (in early Feb), but it's been at hardtopguy's (Ganley Honda in Cleveland) for testing and evaluation and other work. My diff has been swapped in and out a few times as the testing went forward.

I'll be picking the car up tomorrow night (trip delayed one week because of snow last weekend), and the 400 mile trip back to Baltimore will give me many opportunities to gather impressions, which I'll post on Sunday night.

Jeff and Joe have already broken in the gears, flushed the old gear oil out, and put in the LE607, so I'll be able to drive very hard and fast Turn on the Valentine One Can't wait to get the hands on the wheel and the foot on the throttle.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
My car was the first with the 4.57s installed (in early Feb), but it's been at hardtopguy's (Ganley Honda in Cleveland) for testing and evaluation and other work.

Quick Reply: Any reviews/observations on the 4.57 gears yet?