S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any reviews/observations on the 4.57 gears yet?

Old 03-23-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching the board for any feedback on the 4.57 gears and haven't seen anything substantive yet. They're shipping, so I figured we'd have seen some reviews by now. Other than Rick (hasn't posted his impression yet from his long drive) and Hardtutame (did differential simultaneously so he's taking it easy), no one else has posted their impressions.

Particularly interested in how they compare to the 4.44 gears -- which I bought a while ago but haven't installed yet.

Anyone?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:21 PM

Hi Richard,

Haven't seen you around here in a while. I believe Strike had these installed recently. I am sure he can give you the type of feedback you are looking for.

Are you coming to Sears Point on April 10-11 with Speedventures?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I'm still around -- just been working a lot. I'd like to go to Sears, but I was holding off to see if I'd have enough time to install and properly break in the new gears. It now looks like I'm going to have to wait to decide whether to go with the 4.44s or get the 4.57s. No time for a proper break in now (driving mostly on the weekends). I should probably just sign up for both days and not sweat the gears.

And thanks for the tip on Strike. I'll follow up with him and see if he'll post his observations here for everyone to benefit from.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here are my impressions, which I sent Asura earlier in PM:

I love them. They make the car much funner to drive on the street because even just taking off from a stop is almost effortless. You could start off in second if you wanted to. They put you at about 5000 RPM's at 80 MPH for highway driving which didn't bother me at all on the 120 mile drive to Buttonwillow. At Buttonwillow, one lap I came off the main straight right behind Cthree. Our cars were pretty similarly set up so normally I'm gonna have to wait for him to let me pass unless I'm feeling real aggressive but in this case I thought I'd see if the gears really made enough of a difference so after we finished the turn I went off line to the right and passed him as if he was standing still. It was a great testament to how much of a difference the gears make. It's one of the best mods you can do. I haven't used the 4.44's but they will offer much of the benefits of the 4.57's. You've probably seen the threads where people are pulling gears out of Kia's and stuff. You may be able to get some 4.44's that way for less money than the 4.57's. All things being equal though I'd take the 4.57's over 4.44's.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:01 PM

I've got a broken in set also. But since I've never driven a set of 4.44's, I couldn't give you a comparison. Otherwise, Strike is right on. On a side note, if weather permits, I'll be heading out to our local drag strip this Sunday to see if any major time differences occur. Wont be all gears though, I've also added Injen CAI, 18" SSR GT1's, and a Spugen catback. I'll keep everyone posted on results.

Johnny
Old 03-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I shipped my diff with the gears to Ganley Honda for installation and John Eagle Honda for installation of the modified diff unit (2-week turnaround thanks to UPS ground). Used Redline gear oil.

Initial impression from driving off the lot: car's got a lot more pep.

Since I'm breaking in the gear with my new clutch, I kept the engine revs below 4k rpms for the first 400 miles. The engine revs more quickly. I find myself shifting more often. The car feels more torquey and now I am able to accelerate at lower rpms. Instead of having to rev the engine to get the car moving, now it just goes. This car accelerates in 6th gear with ease. At 4000 rpms in 6th gear, I find myself being passed up frequently on the highway. Since I have not installed my yellow box, I have no idea what speed I am at, but it certainly isn't 73mph as indicated. Although the gear isn't supposed to increase torque output, my ass seems to think so. The way it gets off the line reminds me of my e36 M3.

There is increased noise which can be described as a low-pitched hum. However, this is only audible when accelerating at higher speeds (ie. accelerating in 6th gear). At lower speeds, noise elevel is comparable to stock. Otherwise, car feels very smooth. No chatter/shudder...etc...

The A/C and heater blows much stronger than before. The perception of power loss when the A/C is activated has lessened with the new gear.

The biggest surprise I have found so far is increased fuel efficiency. I have filled up the gas twice and have noticed the gas mileage has increased. Usually, I average between 21-23 mpg with mixed city/highway driving and 3-4 VTEC range revs. Although I have restricted myself to 4000-5000 rpms, the gas mileage has increased to 26-27 mpg with city/highway driving. Sure, I'm not revving the engine to redline, but even with 100% highway driving below VTEC, I have never reached an average of 27 mpg.

These are findings between 0-400 miles below 4000 rpms.

Currently, I'm at the 550-mile mark and have allowed myself to rev to 5000 rpms. This car hauls even more ass than before. I can't imagine what it'll be like to rip this sucker towards 9000rpms. I will know by this weekend (end of break-in period at 750 miles).

Damned, I drive too much. I got my car back just last Wednesday. How the hell did I drive 550 miles in 6 days?

Supercharger to be installed in a few weeks. Glad I did the gear install before then to feel the difference.

Hats off to Jeff Shahan at Ricks2k for the top-notch service, Jeff Goetz at hardtopguy for the excellent install and friendly customer service, and Matt Schonacher at John Eagle Honda for the final install and assistance!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:30 PM

5K rpm at 80 eh? I'm about right there with my 4.77's
Old 03-24-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Chitah831
5K rpm at 80 eh? I'm about right there with my 4.77's
Maybe you two went different routes in tuning the yellow box? I went with the mile marker test and find myself at 75-76mph right at 4500 revs.

Johnny
Old 03-24-2004, 07:47 AM

So can you guys with the 4.57's and 4.77's still reach 60 mph in second gear? What are the shift points after you had the gears installed? Just curious
Old 03-24-2004, 08:51 AM

2nd gear with the 4.77's will max you under 60. Not sure about the 4.57's though

Quick Reply: Any reviews/observations on the 4.57 gears yet?