S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any Reason NOT To use Quick Change Oil Valve?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

everyone must have really high cars because there would be no way to fit a drain pan underneath my car without lifting it up. And if i lift it up, might as well turn a wrench a few times to take a drain bolt off.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A Stock s2000 will clear the pan just fine.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... Haven't been on the forum for months and this is the first thing I notice: Dumb. Either you like the not-very-trustworthy valve or you don't mind being normal/rational and doing a f$%!ing job that takes 20 min MAX, FOR A WOMAN! My wife can change it, and she doesn't bitch about it, so it really isn't that hard. Wow, again... Just had to rant about the ignorance in this post, LMAO. Insane. Anyway, whoever suggested it's OK to DD a car with the same oil for 20K is also missing a point: If you're talking about an AP1, you might as well change it anyway at 3-5K, because you're definitely not putting even 2K on it without adding some (unless you've modded), and cycling through it at that rate in 20K miles will change it a few times for you anyway. I run my S2K to 9K in the first 3 gears alot, every day, and anyone else who does so should use regular change intervals at 3-5K, depending on the brand and type of oil. Just saying.

Cheers all.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
My drain plug caught a valve cotter (solid piece, lucky I guess) after I got my valve retainers swapped. It would've been a PITA if it had gotten stuck in the pump.
Someone actully lost a cotter in your engine and thought is was ok TO LEAVE IT IN THE ENGINE???? I'd love to know who did this.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been on for 2 years and about 50 thousand spirited daily driven miles. I'm a bit lowered and no problems at all. I love it.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Anyway, whoever suggested it's OK to DD a car with the same oil for 20K is also missing a point: If you're talking about an AP1, you might as well change it anyway at 3-5K, because you're definitely not putting even 2K on it without adding some (unless you've modded), and cycling through it at that rate in 20K miles will change it a few times for you anyway.
So why change it al all?
Not a bad point: oil boat AP1's do not have to change oil, just the filter.

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
I still dont see how you can go 20-25k miles a on single oil change, I really don't!
It's all about the oil.
If a used oil anaylysis shows the oil you dumped was not sheared down (not any thinner than how it went in) and the TBN value (capability to compensate for agressive combustion by-products) is still high enough, you change too soon.
Simple.
You're throwing a pencil away after a days writing and buy a new pencil, just because you don't want to run out of pencil.
With a pencil you would be able to see it was almost as long as new, with oil you need a UOA for it.

If you DD your car for some miles (and you kinda have to to get the yearly miles) your not that hard on your oil.
Even if you take it to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.. OMG the stress!!
So the right oil will do the distance.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by ikeyballz' timestamp='1331855037' post='21512906
My drain plug caught a valve cotter (solid piece, lucky I guess) after I got my valve retainers swapped. It would've been a PITA if it had gotten stuck in the pump.
Someone actully lost a cotter in your engine and thought is was ok TO LEAVE IT IN THE ENGINE???? I'd love to know who did this.
I was quite pissed when I found it, dont get me wrong -_-. I trusted a honda mechanic to do the work with me watching, he unloaded a spring and BAM the cotters shot in two different directions. I heard a distinct "tink" behind me for one of them and the other I had no idea where it went. He claimed he saw it drop to the floor so I trusted him and forgot about it...til the next oil change when I found that POS stuck on my drain plug. That was the one time I trusted someone else to do something on my car...never again!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Ive used my fumoto valve for 7 months now on my daily driven s2000, problem free. I also had one on my previous DD for 3 years, problem free as well. Makes changing oil extremely easy and totally worth it.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Billman disapproves - any argument for the valve is invalidated.

Why is this thread still going, please close it.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1331889991' post='21514000
Anyway, whoever suggested it's OK to DD a car with the same oil for 20K is also missing a point: If you're talking about an AP1, you might as well change it anyway at 3-5K, because you're definitely not putting even 2K on it without adding some (unless you've modded), and cycling through it at that rate in 20K miles will change it a few times for you anyway.
So why change it al all?
Not a bad point: oil boat AP1's do not have to change oil, just the filter.

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
I still dont see how you can go 20-25k miles a on single oil change, I really don't!
It's all about the oil.
If a used oil anaylysis shows the oil you dumped was not sheared down (not any thinner than how it went in) and the TBN value (capability to compensate for agressive combustion by-products) is still high enough, you change too soon.
Simple.
You're throwing a pencil away after a days writing and buy a new pencil, just because you don't want to run out of pencil.
With a pencil you would be able to see it was almost as long as new, with oil you need a UOA for it.

If you DD your car for some miles (and you kinda have to to get the yearly miles) your not that hard on your oil.
Even if you take it to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.. OMG the stress!!
So the right oil will do the distance.

I'd like to see you change the filter without draining the oil first and not making a big mess

Quick Reply: Any Reason NOT To use Quick Change Oil Valve?