S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ANY IDEAS ON WHY TRANS PROBLEM?

Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANY IDEAS ON WHY TRANS PROBLEM?

Hey, new to the forum and have had my 2008 Grey with 7000 miles, (now 9000) for almost a year....I got bold today and was getting on a circular onramp and going about 55 mph, to the point where the car was about to lose traction, and near redline. I went to shift into 3rd gear right at the point where I was still leaning, and almost straight to get on the freeway, when from about 7000 -7500 RPM I tried to put it in 3rd, and it would not go in, just grinding, I had to try it repeatedly, and then it went into 3rd, and all is normal now, but very embarrasing. Hell, if I can't drive this car aggressively every once in awhile without that happening, then why have it? Does anyone know why it does this near or at redline, 2-3 shift, and mainly on turns??? Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How fast are you shifting?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan
How fast are you shifting?
Shifing quickly, then when it wouldn't go in, slowly, and still was gringing, then went into gear. Not power shifting, I am respectfull of the clutch
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well first off its a major no-no to hard-shift while mid corner @ the limits of traction. Had you hit that shift and chirped the tires you probably would have lost the rear end and crashed. So all in all, its probably a good thing you miss-shifted.

My thoughts are it has nothing to do with your transmission and rather its is more likely your over enthusiasm near the limit which caused your miss-shift.

The S2000 is a car which will teach you to drive with precision and smoothness near the limits. Banging gears on corners is a sure way to put an s2000 backwards into a tree. Its a good thing you have an 08 with VSA, the 08 has the most tame suspension setup and Honda really dialed out the oversteer present in prior year models. I'd gamble and say if you were driving an AP1 you'd have crashed it for sure in this same situation.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM

^While I agree, I noticed that shifting is quite a bit more difficult with dirty clutch fluid. I'm willing to bet your CMC is leaking fluid and that your clutch fluid is dirty.. clean those out, take a little more time shifting and it'll be all good.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM

The s2000 trans is very unforgiving if the clutch isnt pressed to the floor during shifts, especially 2nd and 3rd,... i bet $100 you thoght the pedal was fully depressed but t was off by a hair which led to the grinding
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM

It has happen to me and my buddy, even with the clutch pedal ALL the way down, driving slow, it grinded on me going to second like 3 days ago, it doesnt happen all the time, also the gears feel notchy, Im going to change my tranny fluid this week with Chevy SynchroMesh transmission oil and will also lube under the shiftboot like I read alot of members did here.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TL MIG
It has happen to me and my buddy, even with the clutch pedal ALL the way down, driving slow, it grinded on me going to second like 3 days ago, it doesnt happen all the time, also the gears feel notchy, Im going to change my tranny fluid this week with Chevy SynchroMesh transmission oil and will also lube under the shiftboot like I read alot of members did here.
Thanks for the tip on the different tranny fluid. I've owned 3 Porsche Carrera's, 7 Corvette's, (These are not all at once, but over the years), ( am at a point were I am economizing because of the economy) BMW's, Acura's, Trans Am's, the list goes on....all with a manual trans, never has one of them not gone into a gear at a higer RPM, even when I've slowed down and tried repeatedly to get in to gear. Cars are just not designed to miss gears, espeacially high performance cars. I always put the clutch to the floor.
If anyone has specific info on what to change the tranny fluid to, to cure this problem, I would appreaciate it. Thanks for the info guy's.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Did it only happen once or does it happen all the time? One missed shift doesn't mean a tranny problem - it might just mean you missed the shift.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Not Sure
Did it only happen once or does it happen all the time? One missed shift doesn't mean a tranny problem - it might just mean you missed the shift.

Quick Reply: ANY IDEAS ON WHY TRANS PROBLEM?