S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any clue why i have an extra wire?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any clue why i have an extra wire?

Not sure where the orange wire come from. I just saw it today, anyways... The car has no spark and i'm thinking this may be it. Anyone identify were the wire goes to?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 3,730 Likes on 2,641 Posts

there is a wire that is supposed to ground to the block under and just to the rear of the vtec solenoid that runs off that wire loom. I don't see that in your picture but it isn't supposed to be an orange wire either way. I can check my service manual to confirm wire colour.

I would expect a missing ground to cause a starting issue, but that wire colour doesn't match any ground wire.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Don't know what the wire is for, but don't ground it. All ground wires are black!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM

yeah that is correct, as the ground wire is supposed to be black. But that wiring looks odd, is there any chance that is has been hacked in the past ?. I don't see the normal ground wire that runs to the block between the oil filter and the vtec solenoid which would be a black wire.

The wire in the picture doesn't look orange, is it white with an orange stripe ?. The only reference for an orange wire in the service manual is for the evaporative bypass solenoid valve, but I wouldn't expect that to cause a start up issue ?.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Sorry it white with orange strip. And i'm sure the harness may have been hacked up before.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM

yeah that strikes me as being an odd looking wire, it doesn't look like a factory wire and I see no mention of a wire that colour.

Check to see if there is a ground wire going to the block, there should be a small threaded hole to the left of where the vtec solenoid mounts to the block, between the solenoid and oil filter region. You will need a flashlight to locate it, maybe 12 inches down from the valvecover.

There should be a ground wire mounted to that threaded hole, and it normally has a rubber boot/sheath covering it where it mounts to the block, it would be a small sized wire with a grey coloured rubber boot. From the picture I can't see that wire anywhere and thus the reason I suspect it may be missing. Perhaps someone tried to splice in a new wire in the past and it broke loose . A missing ground on that wiring section will mess up your starting as it grounds all 4 coils.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Okay there is only three wires coming out of that wiring loom, two wires go to connectors at the solenoid (which you have) and the third wire goes to the grounding location (which you don't seem to have). There is no white/orange wire used anywhere in the engine bay, it should be black/yellow so I am assuming someone added a piece of wire in there. CHances are if you cut back into the wiring loom you will see the white/orange wire spliced into the black/yellow factory wire. So you need the ground wire to go down and bolt into the block threaded grounding location as best as I can tell, which could cure your ignition woes.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's the oil pressure switch wire. I broke the oil pressure switch and had to replace it, and this was the wire that was screwed onto the back of it.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stupkid
it's the oil pressure switch wire. I broke the oil pressure switch and had to replace it, and this was the wire that was screwed onto the back of it.

I agree. If you look down in the picture, you can see the oil pressure switch is not connected.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Originally Posted by stupkid' timestamp='1313735138' post='20893027

I agree. If you look down in the picture, you can see the oil pressure switch is not connected.
Oh the thing I've been referring to as a ground is actually the oil pressure switch, but that wire is yellow/red , I don't know of any white orange/ wire. Given that I don't think it will affect the engine starting issue ?

Quick Reply: Any clue why i have an extra wire?