S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Any benefit to converting stock mufflers to single pass?

Old 07-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Any benefit to converting stock mufflers to single pass?

This may be a stupid question, but for those that don't want to drop the big bucks on a new exhaust, would it be possible or beneficial to modify the stock mufflers? It seems like the stock pipe could be modified to connect straight to the last passage in the stock muffler (eliminating the 'U' shaped pipe). I know it wouldn't be any lighter, and it would be a bit louder, but wouldn't it be less restrictive than the current 3 pass arrangement?

Flame on.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

This is what I'm talking about. The top picture is stock. The bottom picture shows the U pipe removed, and the exhaust pipe rerouted.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there was a guy on the board that replaced the muffs with dyno max muffs.....but kept the piping....
Old 07-29-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock exhaust is a very low restriction unit, just a little heavy and quiet.. that is why there is so little gain in swapping it, and probably even less hacking it.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My current project is to hack the oem exhaust just to see what I can do.

First order of business is to take out the perpindicular pipe that comes right after the cat. Next thing is to take out the resonator. Finally, cut off the cannisters in favor for some borla, dyna max, or whatever fits the budget.

Piping size will stay the same, however, mounting will be a little different than using hangers.

Really, I'm not doing to this to free up any power from the engine, if it does great. If it loses power, I'll find another OEM unit to replace it with. The main goal is to give me some more experience at welding and lightening the exhaust system.

Chris, I owe you some pictures. The 'thing' doesn't look pretty, but it looks like we're on target. I happened to leave my camera at home today. Sorry.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by cdelena
The stock exhaust is a very low restriction unit, just a little heavy and quiet.. that is why there is so little gain in swapping it, and probably even less hacking it.
My theory is that it will be just about "right" sound wise, and 1 pass should be at least some amount less restrictive than 3 passes.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done it, it makes the exhuast sound more raspy. Free-er flowing? probably. Did I notice a difference? probably not besides sound. For the work involved, you're better off buying a lighter exhuast. The stock one is HEAVY! I did the surgery on the mufflers myself.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:08 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Vapor,

Did you keep the resonator on, or did you remove that as well?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been dying to get a dual exhaust. and on my s2k, it's got one. I'll never convert it to single.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's the plan that I haven't had a chance to get around to just yet.

- Cut stock exhaust just before the pipe splits into two.
- Weld on a single pipe that routes the exhaust to the normal exit point on the right side.

I think there are some definite benefits to doing this:
- Lighter. Fully half the weight of the stock exhaust comes from the muffler canisters.
- Sound. With no muffler it should be loud enough, but since it retains the Helmholtz filter just after the cat it shouldn't have the horrible resonance the J's Racing N1 has.

I don't expect to have any power gains or losses, though.

Quick Reply: Any benefit to converting stock mufflers to single pass?