S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another White Smoke Question...

Old 11-21-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Nov 21 2004, 07:18 AM
It looks like you're indication that you ran the course counter-clockwise and the turn was to the left. Is that correct?

As others have suggested, blowing smoke in hard right-hand turns is a known characterisitc of the S2000, especially when oil levels are full. The catch can solution works well.

However, if the turn was indeed a left-hander, I don't know what to suggest.
Exactly.

Same thing happened to many S2000s on Beaver Run track during Fall Color track.
Turn 5 thru 7 contains hard right hander which unloads oils to one side of the engine then when the cars reached top of the hill to downhill, many of them puffed out thick white smokes. This is quite normal occurance for S2000. Yeah oil catch can will do the magic. Make sure you check the oil level and top off your oil level.

After all day of track at Beaver Run, I have consumed about 1/4 quart of oil.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Nov 21 2004, 04:18 PM
It looks like you're indication that you ran the course counter-clockwise and the turn was to the left. Is that correct?

As others have suggested, blowing smoke in hard right-hand turns is a known characterisitc of the S2000, especially when oil levels are full. The catch can solution works well.

However, if the turn was indeed a left-hander, I don't know what to suggest.
... please read again...after a HARD left corner witch is parabolic, it goes uphill and streight into a LONG, high G right hand corner that goes downhill..i get the smoke there.
And to get this right, I do not mind smoking for a few seconds, but my RPM falls or does not want to go up for this few seconds so I loose power=time..thats my problem here ..
So you guys say the oil catch can will do? What about the Mugen oil pan,any goooooood?

Thanx !!!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:37 AM
Community Organizer

Guys, there was a LONG hard right turn before that short straight where he made the left turn. Perhaps it just took longer for his car to puff it out?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:08 PM

So wtf will help?Anyone with a usefull input?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakub2000,Nov 25 2004, 12:28 AM
... please read again...after a HARD left corner witch is parabolic...
Sorry, I was responding to Random1, the original poster. No need to get dramatic.

I have personally experienced smoke screen production in hard RIGHT-hand turns, especially those of moderate speed and of longer duration such as 50-60 mph sweepers, but I have also blown smoke in on right-hand sweepers while autocrossing. Although I have not done so in my car, others have reported that the addition of a catch can solves the issue.

Since you and Random1 are experienceing the same type of smoke production in left-hand turns, I suggest adding the catch can and seeing if it solves your problem as well. soundzero and rickycrx supplied you with plausible explanations, so I'd just go with the simple solution to a known issue. If it does not help, then you'll need to investigate further.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Mugen oil pan would not have any impact on this problem (good or bad). The problem is occurring in the valve cover, not the oil pan.

Adding a catch can between the PCV valve and intake manifold solved my oil ingestion problems (on high G right handers).
Old 11-29-2004, 09:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Aug 16 2004, 05:48 AM
That is really surprising that you would blow smoke on a left turn. It is very common for S2000s to blow smoke on hard right turns. An oil catch can between your PCV valve and intake manifold should resolve the problem.
My thought and also my winter mod.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jakub2000,Nov 24 2004, 10:28 PM
... please read again...after a HARD left corner witch is parabolic, it goes uphill and streight into a LONG, high G right hand corner that goes downhill..i get the smoke there.
And to get this right, I do not mind smoking for a few seconds, but my RPM falls or does not want to go up for this few seconds so I loose power=time..thats my problem here ..
So you guys say the oil catch can will do? What about the Mugen oil pan,any goooooood?

Thanx !!!
He was answering the thread originater's question, not your hi-jack.

As to this kind of question "So wtf will help?Anyone with a usefull input?", I wouldn't help you even if you started a new thread. Try treating people with respect and maybe they'll help you.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Random1,Aug 16 2004, 07:16 AM

Any insights into this scenario would be appreciated...

At autocross yesterday I had lots of white smoke only on one particular corner (see map below). Here are some clues.
  • The speed approaching this left turn was about 40-50 MPH (estimated), then hard brake, turn and accelerate. At the point of acceleration I was told that I had lots of white smoke.
  • Visual inspection of the car revealed nothing and on subsequent runs similar amounts of smoke appeared only on this one corner.
  • I had changed the transmission oil the night before with MT-90 and over filled it by some amount due to my car being raised from the drivers side.
  • When starting the car to leave for the day the low fuel indicator was on and I did not see below two bars while I was racing. I normally start autocrossing with just a bar or two below half, but I had arrived with less fuel to this event. The reason I did not see below two bars is because I never turn the car off through all my runs. I read a thread in the past that talked about this feature.

I have read a lot of threads on white smoke and most talk about coolent introduced to the combustion process. In at least one thread it talked about running lean. For this circumstance I tend to think it may be because of running lean as indicated by the low fuel light. There was no noticed degradation in performance while accelerating out of this corner. Does this sound plausible?

Thanks,

Rob

I just had the same issue, white smoke on start up after running an autoX course that was almost exclusively LEFT hand turns. Car started fine, runs fine and no smoke since than but it was from running left handed turns and the smoke looked white to me. Any ideas?