S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another view of the Fumoto oil change valve

Old 09-14-2004, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need the nipple but you do need the adapter. The nipple just makes it possible to connect a hose to ensure that you don't make a mess. Here is a direct link to what you need. Fumoto Valve
Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 AM
WPS

i think its not hard at all to unbolt the drain bolt. for me it never saved any time so i returned it. it bugged me always in the back of my head.
on the otherhand if you have the nipple version and use a tube for a clean drain, thats some function.
basically saying dont buy it for speed or ease IMO
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did it bug you? What were you worried about?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:56 AM
WPS

obviously it less secure compared with a regular bolt and with no advantage over a regular bolt for me it doesn't make sense in using. i can torque the bolt factory specs. cant torque the valve, you have to guess. my particular valve screwed in with the latch facing down . add that with the low ground clearance made me worried because i know i can hit the bottom of the car on a speedbump.
what if i hit a branch on the road what if whatever, call me crazy
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 AM

I installed the Fram sure drain version. I'm curious if it's much different than the Fumoto. I think it is because if someone removes the cap, they would still have to screw on a bolt (with optional attached hose) that causes the valve to open. Sounds like there's a lot less chance of a "miscreant" causing havoc with it.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM

the fumotovalve site says:

N-Series valve(with Nipple to accept hose) is not recommended for passenger cars with low ground clearance.

is this a problem on the s2k? Also, since the oil filter is taken out from above, you wouldn't have to jack up the car to change oil w/ this thing.. correct?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krayzyazn,Sep 14 2004, 03:39 PM
the fumotovalve site says:

N-Series valve(with Nipple to accept hose) is not recommended for passenger cars with low ground clearance.

is this a problem on the s2k? Also, since the oil filter is taken out from above, you wouldn't have to jack up the car to change oil w/ this thing.. correct?
No.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how tall the oil drain pan you use is. I don't need to jack the car up to get to my fumoto valve.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 PM

I got the clamps today.

The SS clamp needs that special tool on the same page as the Link I posted to safely install it - there is considerable tension, and just using a pliers allowed it to shoot across my driveway (I was experimenting and had on eye protection - good thing). The special pliers are called "Swivel-Jaw pliers", McMaster part no. 5324K97. I went to my "special tools toolbox", and Lawdy Miss Clawdy, what did my old eyes behold - the exact tool I needed! (I cannot even recall when I bought it and which of the many cars I have owned I needed it for - likely a Corvette resto).

The black oxide one can safely be installed with a regular slip pliers.

I am holding one of each for Celeritas, my neighbor.

I have 8 of the black oxide, and about 18 of the SS ones. So the first 26 PM's that pledge to send me a SASE and keep my address confidential* will get a freebie - once the blackies are gone, you will have to go SS, and I will want you to pledge to obtain the right tool, as I would hate for anyone to be injured on my watch.

The LE-607 distributions proved to me that you guys are people of honor, as I have not received any funky mail - so the deal is the same here - someone screws up, they screw it up for all future RR offers. That is just the way I have to play it.

*I am on the masthead of several mags, and that has resulted in some unpleasantries by idiots who do not respect people's privacy. I am a very private person, although I open up here since I have some anonymity. But getting calls at all hours of the night was a very unsettling situation for my family and me.

OT: I just noticed I am a Guest - my membership elapsed, but doesn't S2KI send out a renewal notice or something? ??????
Old 09-14-2004, 03:14 PM

Apparently, I need to mention that you should tell me which of the two clamps you want. As I said, if you go with the SS one, get the right tool; I assume absolutely no liability if you injure yourself.

Quick Reply: Another view of the Fumoto oil change valve