S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another successful story about Xviper guided Diff change @ 3200 miles (left side)

Old 05-10-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another successful story about Xviper guided Diff change @ 3200 miles (left side)

First I drove the car around my blocks just to warm up the diff and noticed how it was before the change. It took me no time to take off the bolts ( very pleasant surprised ) Then the difficult part, the tube I planned to use did not fit the fill hole. . Spent two hours try to find the right one and made a mess spilling the oil when fitting the hole. Felt frustrated and desparate, then asked my wife if she has a small tube that easily bends. Mom knows best, handed me a drinking straw for the kids that is 3/8 inches wide and can be bent at 3 points (180 degree). WALA . Then it took me no time to squeeze all the fluid since I could actually raise the bottle above the fill hole and up the cavity (I raised the car from the left side, the bottle can easily be moved up there)

The old fluid was black but was not as disgusting as other had seen. Wiped and clean the dirt off the drian bolt.

Now test drive it around the same blocks. First I noticed when I backed out my car before, I heard a click when stepping on the clutch paddle (disengaging the gear ?). Now its gone. Shifting is so smooth and buttery now. My question is where else does the diff fluid travel to.
How does the diff fluid affect gear shifting so much ? Should it be the transmission fluid ?

Anyway, thanks to Xviper, I am glad to have done this.
(no plan to change the trans since most people who did found the fluid was "clean".)
Old 05-10-2003, 12:40 PM

hmmmm what is the scheduled maintaince for the diff?
Old 05-10-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its recommended to change it every 15,000 miles. I would do the first change the same time you do the first oil change. After that you can do it on your own schedule. I'm going to be changing the diff fluid about once every two oil changes.

oras2k,

You are right about the change in shifting being smoother. I also had the clicking in reverse that you referred to and mine was gone also after putting some Mobil 1 diff fluid in there around 4,000 miles. I was pretty confused as well by the smoother shifting as I assumed that was solely a transmission issue.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on getting the job done.
For next time (both diff and tranny), go to a wine making shop. They carry clear "Tygon" tubing that they using to transfer wine from one jug to another when decanting. Take the top of one of your oil bottles with you for fitment. Get the tubing about 2-3 feet long. When it's this long, you don't need to hold the bottle higher than the diff, just tilted enough that the oil bottle is pointed down. Then you just keep pumping it in - squeeze bottle, then release and let air back in, squeeze again, continue till you get as much as you need into the diff.
The fluid in the diff only stays in the diff. There is a seal on each side where the 1/2 shafts come out and there is another seal at the front where the propeller (drive) shaft goes in. The oil only sloshes around in the "pumpkin".
I suppose if the diff parts turn with ease due to fressh juice, this can manifest itself into nicer shifting.
ps. I plan to do both the diff and tranny fluid annually. With the proper tubing, it's not too difficult a job.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:20 PM

the diff. takes 1 quart right? does it use it all or do you have some left over?

EDIT: did you guys reuse the old washers from the drain and fill plug?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RazorV3
[B]the diff. takes 1 quart right?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:04 AM

One US quart which is more than enough.

I found both washers were in good shape. No problem reusing them.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:01 AM

Did mine yesterday. Didn't notice any difference in shifting, but I would have been disappointed if I had; I love the shift action.

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions xviper.

Squeezing that bottle is a good workout for the forearms.