S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another,My car is smoking thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another,My car is smoking thread

Ok so here are the specs of my car:

J's header back exhaust
Gutted intake
Stock ECU
(not long I know...lol)
engine 72,000 miles
oil 10w30 Mobile 1

so here is the problem. the car does the normal black smoke/crap from heavy throttle. i know thats normal, but it seems like its starting to blow blueish/white smoke more and more often. it does not do it under throttle but the exact opposite, when i stop at lights. i am actually getting the the point where i will get headaches when going to and from school if i have to stop too many times cause i will get the smell of oil and the smoke too.

i just ordered a catch can and the breather things, hopefully to stop any oil that goes into the intake and is being burned. what else should i look at?

I pulled the intake hose to look inside the intake manifold and saw nothing out of the ordinary, this is even making me think the catch can will do nothing, but o well. the worst it will do is nothing at the moment. let me know what else I should be looking at. thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM

i dont think black smoke/crap on heavy throttle is normal.

the black smoke usually happens on high g right hand turns i think... where the oil gets sucked into the pcv and goes into the intake and gets burned. this doesn't happen on heavy throttle i do not believe...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM

so it burns oil when coming to stop off of a high vacuum decel?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM

normally when I pull to a light I will shift down to second or third and then clutch in and stop. then the smoke like 2-3 seconds after...every time
Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 AM

Does it make a nice plume when you pull away again?

I have a similar problem, and I'm about to start a new thread about it, now that I have more info to give the armchair mechanics about the problem.

I changed the valve stem seals, and now it does it a lot less often, and with less volume, but it still does it. People have told me my mechanic should have known to change the valve guides at the same time, so I'm going for valve guides next.

The change in the behaviour after doing the valve seals, is that when I start the car it's fine, no smoke. When it has fully warmed up (water and oil), it starts making big plumes of smoke when I pull away from a stop.

I've discovered that if I punch it hard to 9k in a couple of gears (churning up the oil I guess), it will not smoke again for the rest of my journey. Therefore, it is my belief that the valve stem seals solved half the problem, and probably I still need guides.

FWIW.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 AM

generally if I get the smoke when I stop, when I take off yes a small plume of smoke will be left behind at the light.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 AM

Hm... I suppose you saw my thread directly below yours here?

Canging my valve seals helped, but hasn't completely solved the problem. I'm now looking at a catch can and changing the PCV (both relatively cheap), before I look at the guides.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this post is old, but I wanted to see if anyone found the solution, my car is doing the same thing. Stop at a light and oil smoke from the car comes past you right as you stop.

My car/mods:

2001 S2000
AP2 Valve cover
AEM cold air intake

I traced all vacuum lines and double checked them with a post on here, and also did the shake test on my PCV valve (seems to be OK).

Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terahertz
i dont think black smoke/crap on heavy throttle is normal.

the black smoke usually happens on high g right hand turns i think... where the oil gets sucked into the pcv and goes into the intake and gets burned. this doesn't happen on heavy throttle i do not believe...

i think its normal

cause its just carb build up and people say one v-tec a day keeps the carb away

i think you blew a gasket or something but i could be wrong.