S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another intake variation...

Old 10-01-2002, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another intake variation...

I used a universal PRM intake, used in the S2000 and M3 kit. The filter housing has a taper on one end that fits into the factory rubber intake hose beautifully. On the other end, I added a carbon fiber elbow to position the aluminum air horn inside the fender well for cold air. Overall, the system is fairly cheap, light, and sounds great. It is pretty loud post vtec switch over, similar to AEM. I have no dyno comparisons yet.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get that carbon fiber elbow?
Old 10-02-2002, 07:48 AM

I made the carbon fiber elbow. It is not an easy task to create a curved composite tube with excellent surface finish on both the inside and outside. I actually cut this section out of a cold air intake that I made for a civic si.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What is that blue pulley?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:28 AM

The pulley is a light weight aluminum water pump pulley. It's called a "Hydro Pulley" from Pro Autosports - http://www.proautosportsinc.com
Old 10-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GEARHEAD
[B]The pulley is a light weight aluminum water pump pulley.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

GEARHEAD,

Are you affiliated with Pro Autosports? All of these same pictures are on their website.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having went this route earlier this year, I can tell you that my testing with the handy accelerometer showed no gains by routing additional plumbing inside the wheel well. I actually angled my pipes downward as well for the most direct path and came to the conclusion that even at speed, there isn't a significant amount of air sneaking up thru there to make any gains above the OEM location of the PRM intake. The front grill opening provides more air to the horn section of the PRM than what would enter into the wheel wheel alone. You've essentially sealed off the large amount of air which comes up from the front grille opening and I would say from my experience (average test results showed a loss of .06 in the 1/4 mile and this was after 8 runs), using the wheel well alone to route air into the PRM (especially without using the horn), is a less effective design. Might I suggest putting the horn back into place and ending the wheel well section prior to it (without entering it). This was the only modification to my PRM that resulted in an INCREASE in performance but once again, it was soooo minimal, I removed all the added plumbing just for asthetic looks.
I'm fairly certain any dyno runs wouldn't tell much of a story since
most of these intakes require a fair amount of WOT air to be of any use (aside from being noise makers).

Good luck with your research though. There is always fiddling to do with intakes it seems.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piping looks a bit small...what is it?
Old 10-02-2002, 08:11 PM

How much of a weight difference does it make (in lbs)?
The weight difference is about 0.8 lbs, however, the design distributes the material so that it has less inertia than the stock pulley so it will make a bigger difference than a 0.8 lb change alone.

Are you affiliated with Pro Autosports?
Yes, I am affiliated with Pro Autosports. If you have any questions regarding Pro Autosports products, I will be happy to answer them.

Piping looks a bit small...what is it?
The elbow and aluminum air horn (supplied with PRM) are approximately 75 mm in diameter. I think a little larger tubing could be beneficial, however, this isn't any smaller than the throttle body opening.

using the wheel well alone to route air into the PRM (especially without using the horn), is a less effective design.
Good luck with your research though.
Thanks. Just to clarify, I am using the air horn in the fender well. My experience testing with flow benches has shown that air horns can make a huge difference in fluid flow efficiency. The reason I routed the intake into the fender well was to pull in air that is ambient temperature rather than air heated by the engine or heated while flowing through the radiator. You gain approximately 1% h.p. for every 10-11 degrees F reduction in intake temperature. Of course, the only thing that really matters is if it improves acceleration times. I haven't had a chance to measure this yet.

Quick Reply: Another intake variation...