S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another headlight adjustment problem.

Old 12-21-2002, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another headlight adjustment problem.

Ever since I adjusted my headlights back to normal level after raising it, I've noticed that the driver's side headlight seems to be brighter whenever I look at another car's reflection from their rear bumper. The passenger headlight seems to be angled differently I think because of the way it flashes purple, even when the lines are lined up perfectly. I've tried raising the passenger headlight higher, but ends up that the line only becomes higher, and I still get that effect that the passenger headlight flashes purple. Is this normal? I'm assuming not, because other s2000s I see during the night seem to have normal headlights. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
Old 12-21-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The passenger side will always be higher. The driver's side is lower because of oncoming traffic: you'll blind them. This is why I always recommend against JDM lights.

You do not want the lines to line up perfectly. You want them to be notched, just like it is... stock.

______/----------

similar to that. right above. (best I can do w/ASCII)

Flashing purple - its not flashing, its just not auto adjusting and with a stiff suspension, it appears to flash.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:24 PM

Schatten, thanks for the quick response. What I mean by lined up perfectly is what you just showed on your post. My lights are notched that way pretty well. But I'm wondering why my passenger headlight appears to "flash" much much more than the driver's side even though my headlights are aligned. I notice this whenever I see my headlight's reflection though the rear bumper of other cars while driving.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:23 PM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason you don't see the passenger side headlight reflect from the bumper of the car in front of you is because of it's angle of reflection. If you sit in the passenger seat at that time (not while driving!) you'd see the passenger side light reflect back at you instead, not the driver's side.

I'm assuming your HID beams are like this ? :

________/
Old 12-22-2002, 05:01 PM

Yes, my HID beams are like that. Thanks mas.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Former Moderator

passenger flashes when the driver's doesn't because the lights bounce off the bumper and towards your eyes at different angles. Try it at home with two flashlights and a mirror, or move side to side while driving with bright headlights behind you.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:08 PM

Hmm... a couple of days ago I was following a friend back to his house. On the road I called his cell and asked him about looking at my lights in his rear view. He agreed that my passenger light seemed to flash much more than the driver's side. I checked the lights again which are lined up properly. Oh well, I can't let all this bother me, I can see the road just fine.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:31 PM

The notch is in both lamps. So to really check is turn on your lights and go down the street a ways and squat down low and look at both lamps to make sure you're looking at the bright part of both patterns. You may be looking above the notch on one and below the notch on the other.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:27 PM

S2WOOOW, I've squat down several times already looking at my lights and the driver's side still appears to be brighter at an angle first before the passenger side. Yet, its aligned fine. I'm guessing the whole headlight housing is installed slightly higher than the passenger side.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:59 PM

Dude, get over it, move on, there's more to life. Your headlights are clearly in working order and you are seeing fine and there's nothing wrong with your car. You actually call your friend to have him tell you about how your lights are flashing?

C'mon now, bro!

Quick Reply: Another headlight adjustment problem.